Mul-TIM-it-er, or MUL-tee-mee-ter?

I made my first one and I call it ‘George’ and am not going to change. So there. ( still have it too. )

For fun, I am going to start pronouncing it that way in our lab. :slight_smile:

I sometimes pronounce thermocouple as thir-MA-cu-pole. Drives my coworkers nuts. :smiley:

none of the above.

I made my first one from a Radio Shack kit and called it a VOM (vee owe em). It may have had a milliamp range, too.

Dad was an apprenticed electrician. This is how I always heard it too. The rest of y’all are weird. :stuck_out_tongue: I mean, come from a different community of practice. :wink:

Much has to do with the context of what one is talking about at any given time, and with whom one is talking to.

In our shop, we talk in terms of “what it metered”. Irrespective of unit in question, we all understand what the other is referring to. We NEVER refer to what the “multimeter” (regardless of the pronunciation or spelling) indicates.

The two exceptions are for our readings on a meg-ohm-meter and a hi-pot. We refer to them as: “what it megg’ed” and “what it thumped”, depending on the origin of the reading, be it a megger or, a hi-pot-enuse.

If some nimrod tells me his Fluke 87 multI, multa, multE, etc., meter indicates 0.5 ohms resistance in a circuit… I get it.

Any variant of one’s preferred pronunciation can be chalked up to a regional derivation… Nothing more, nothing less.