Music you listen(ed) to when high?

We turned out the lights and turned up a light show (homemade electronics), and played a lot of “Conceptual Social Humor” albums when high in our teens… especially Firesign Theatre. Some of their stuff is fairly linear humor (Giant Rat of Sumatra is a great Sherlock Holmes parody) (Oh, and Nick Danger is a perfect radio detective pastiche).

But the rest of their stuff… you had to bend your mind a little to get it. Great when you’re high… but it also worked when we couldn’t afford drugs (“Same effect, maaaaan…”).

Here, just try one hit…

When I was young and stoned (which was frequently), I listened to longhair music, like the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, et al.

For decades after, I didn’t get stoned, and didn’t listen to much music.

Today, when I’m stoned* (which is frequently), I listen to longhair music, like Beethoven, Liszt, Chopin, Bach, et al.

I guess I just don’t like shorthair music.

• Got a medical marijuana card…so don’t sic the fuzz on me, man!

back when I did that sort of thing, Iron Maiden, with Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son in heavy rotation when it came out.

If the high is psychedelic in nature, Shpongle is the obvious answer:

We used to listen to a lot of Jurassic 5. Bunch of white boys in upstate NY.

And G-Love and Special sauce.

Wow. I have a lot to listen to.

Yikes! I used the wrong “to” in the title. :frowning:

Back in the day, it was Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Santana for the most part.

My buddy and I are smoking now, taking turns playing music. I’m listening to some of your suggestions.

Edit:

Meant that as a reply to thread in general.

And if you want it a little more musical, there’s always Fighting Clowns. My friends and I used to sing along. In fact, I just put it on YouTube and I still remember all the words. :grin: I haven’t listened to it in decades. Thanks for the reminder.

Dude, what is the deal? Were you high or somethin’, man?

From freshman year 1979 while doing LSD the required albums were.

Moody Blues “In Search of the Lost Chord”
The Doors “the Soft Parade”
The Beatle “the Beatles” (also known as the White Album)
Jimi Hendrix “Are you Experienced”
Pink Floyd, any Pink Floyd.

Lots and lots of reggae! Bob Marley of course, Gregory Isaacs, Black Uhuru, the I-Threes, John Holt, Desmond Dekker, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse, Toots and the Maytals, etc., etc. (With divergences into some African music–King Sunny Ade, Lijadu Sisters, Fela Kuti).

One long period when Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited was on constant repeat.

Lots of other stuff, too, but always coming back to the heartbeat riddim of the one-drop.

Is there a convenient way to link you to all the thousands of albums in my collection?

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Unsurprisingly, the Moody Blues sound a lot better when you’re high.

Here’s a sparkling example of bubblegum music with a maddeningly catchy melody. And to accompany it, nutty and mesmerizing animation which is heavily influenced by Peter Max.

Lollipop, by Mika

We wore out Tommy by The Who, the original “rock opera” album, not the movie version.

I wish I could blame that, but I just a dyslexic fool. :smiley:

Isn’t there a Grateful Dead joke in there somewhere?

Floyd, Genesis, Zappa, Jackson Brown, Commander Cody, Yes, ELP, Black Sabbath, Bluegrass, Southern Rock… Come to think of it, pretty much any music I listened to in those days as weed smoking was a daily thing in college. (Nothing like hitting the bong and watching the Gong Show and Batman back-to-back.) One particularly clear memory is listening to Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells for the first time (on headphones). Near the end, the narrator names the instruments with “Grand piano” being the first. I was completely lost in the music and almost jumped out of my skin. I still love that album.