Musicians/Bands that got huge but still maintained "cred" with fans and critics throughout?

I think that’s something that he’ll remember.

hh

I can’t recall a time when Lou Reed was not cool to listen too. I think he never sold off.

Did you hear him at the RRHoF 25th anniversary? Dude could never sing, but now?

REM up until Bill Berry left. Every album was somewhere between good and brilliant, sales increasing but they never sold out. Mind you when BB left they dropped off a cliff and produced 4 duds in a row.

Way to miss the point, after three decades.

Lynyrd Skynyrd were always huge Neil Young fans, and they’ve gone on record a number of times saying that the line in Sweet Home Alabama was intended as a friendly retort, not as a big defensive put-down.

Source: Wiki article: Southern Man - Wikipedia

Anyhoo, I came in here specifically to say “Neil Young”, but of course many people already have.

The Who never sold out.

:wink:

I’m well aware of the “friendly retort” thing between the bands, and the t-shirt deal. Regardless of how Skynyrd feels about it, I find Young’s “Southern Man” offensive. I will not buy his records, or otherwise put money in his pocket for that reason.

I love that song… thats my second after Man needs a Maid… … and you can’t beat that piano riff played by Nils Lofgren.,…

I would throw in Public Enemy… they stayed true to the sense even when everyone went ignorant and gangster…

Exactly who I was thinking of. So was massively successful, but even that album featured tracks like “Mercy Street”, which were as inward-looking as anything on PG3 and PG4.

I don’t know about that. Radiohead has the cred they do not just because they shake things up with every album, but because they’ve always managed to do so in a musically successful fashion. IOW, “Kid A” wasn’t just an electronic album, it was a fantastic electronic album, loaded with some of the best compositions of the past decade. “In Rainbows” wasn’t just “that downloadable album for which you paid however much you wanted”; it was a “downloadable album for which you paid however much you wanted filled with amazing songs.” Etc.

Absolutely agree, Tanbarkie.

I’m not particularly wired in to the critical or popular grapevines, but I got the impression that Barenaked Ladies made the big time without alienating their early, hardcore fans.