My band's album made it to #2 on the Itunes Reggae Charts!!!

Just behind Bob Marley “Legend”!

A 2 year labor of love went into this album. It just dropped this morning. We are enormously excited to see it launch and (at least initially) succeed. Our first album did well locally, but now it feels like our band might actually have a teensy chance of making it to “the big time”!

If you like reggae, South/West African music (think Paul Simon’s “Graceland”) or afrobeat, please check it out.

ITunes Reggae charts

Our website

An early review of the album

Happy to answer any questions about the album, the music, and the journey so far.

Congrats! I’ll check it out.

Congrats

Sounds like you guys are working hard and it is paying off

Cheers

Capt Kirk

First impression: I really like “Walk Away.” I also dig “Hideaway,” “Why Say One,” and “Golden Sky.”

And…great band name! I didn’t get the pun until I googled y’all and got all these orthopedic treatment sites. :slight_smile:

Question: is that a kora that’s plucked toward the end of “Walk Away”?

That is a kamale ngoni being played with octave harmonics.

Very cool – thanks!

That’s some good, fun music! Thanks for sharing. What do you play?

And where did you come up with the band name? :wink:

I play the kamale ngoni, the kora, the guitar, and a bunch of weird percussion stuff like the cuica.
The name was a double entendre on both “hip” and “abduction.” Also referring to music that makes folks want to dance (or abduct their hips for other reasons:D).

Shipping this over to CS. And congratulations!

Hal Briston - MPSIMS Moderator

Are you the only guitarist? I’m enjoying the guitar sounds. What are you/others playing and playing through?

Was it recorded direct in/digital, using mics/digital, or using mics/analog?

Two electric guitarists. Both playing through miked Fender twin reverb amps. I play a Buscarino custom guitar with live EMG pickups and extra fat frets. The other guitar is a 1956 Les Paul special.
Pedals are Lovepedal Superlead, Holy Grail Reverb, Moogerfooger phaser, Crybaby wah, and Keeley compressor.

The african harps that play a lot of the arpeggiated, syncopated sounds are miked but also run directly into the board through BigShot piezo setups.

The album was recorded at ClearTracks in Clearwater, FL on analog tape.

Thanks for listening!

What the hell, I downloaded the album from iTunes. Really digging the African flavor to the instrumentation. Exactly the kind of world/fusion I like. Good job!

Thanks very much!

Dammit!! I totally should’ve called the Les Paul Special - I heard the Marley-ish tones, and I used to own a 1957 LP Special, so know it pretty well. Sounds great. Have to look up the Buscarino…

Steve Buscarino is an awesome luthier in Florida. I think Steve Morse and George Benson are both playing his guitars nowadays. I lucked out and got this one back in the early 90’s before he got world famous.

I downloaded the album from iTunes.
Well done!

I can’t find a website or photos - can you point me anywhere?

We’re big fans of West African music. We were lucky enough to see Ali Farka Toure before he died and we enjoy Salif Keita, Toumane Diabate and Habib Koite (who we’ve also seen). You guys have a great fusion sound going on there.

http://www.buscarino.com/

Sorry! I must have conflated Steve Morse and John Buscarino somehow.