My CD "Guitarias" is about to be released; details on my brand-new website!

An excellent guess, but sadly not correct!

Fidèle Ami?

Fideaux?

PS: Just ordered the CD, so I guess it’s moot.

I’m guessing Clement, but it’s a very long shot so I’m buying a copy anyway. Excited to hear this!

Cinnamon?

Benji.

Great dog names, all of them; but sadly, none of them are correct.

Bingo! No, I mean, you’re right - Benji! Send me a PM when you have a moment, and I’ll get your copy in the mail as soon as I can! Yes, I’ll even cover the postage (said one Scotsman to another!)

As one Scotsman to another, and one Doug to another Doug, it was incredibly easy to find your dog’s name on a quick Google search of the Straight Dope Message Board. I feel like I cheated and am not worthy of a free gift of your CD.

I’d like to support you, instead of getting a freebee, but times are rough right now financially, due to marital issues. But hey, I guess there was no rule against Googling.

What do you think?

What do other Canadopers think?

I’m too late for the contest, but I’d love to hear the CD.

Doug: Please ship the CD to Emily. As she is also involved in the music business, I would like her to have the copy. It’s not that I wouldn’t appreciate it, but Emily would appreciate it more.

Is this possible? And would you be offended?
Your other brother Doug

Aw, thanks, Leaffan. :smiley:

Congratulations, Leaffan! And enjoy the CD, Emily!

Looks like I’ll have to get mine the old fashioned way. But I’ll hold off ordering it for a while–there’s a chance I may be in Toronto within the next few months; and if that’s the case, I hope to be able to buy one from Le Ministre directly.

I do like that the SDMB is thanked in the Acknowledgements!

Given a choice between supporting cleverness and supporting dumb luck, I’ll go for the cleverness any day. No, there was no rule against googling or otherwise searching the SDMB, and while I’m fairly circumspect about not mentioning the real life names of my human family, I was fairly sure I’d mentioned His Hirsute Majesty by name a few times in the Canadope Cafe, and in the thread where I talked about us getting a puppy back in 2010.

Fair Dinkum, as the Aussies would say.

Very good; it shall be so. **EmilyG **- if you’d be so kind as to PM an appropriate mailing address, I’ll send that off right away. Leaffan, you’re a kind soul.

I’m just jealous I didn’t think of Googling. :slight_smile:

Okay - finally ordered. I look forward to revisiting this thread when it arrives.

The first of the reviews is in, and it’s good! From Brian Hay’s “No Rules, No Lights” blog - ‘Guitarias’: Everything a Recording Should Be
Doug MacNaughton; Baritone and Guitar

Please forgive me blowing my own horn, but after a couple of weeks of pounding away sending PR material out in all possible directions, I’m overwhelmed with relief!

I am finally home off the road, made some dinner (leftovers into pork fried rice; some wine = happy), and listening.

My first overall impression is that I am surprised you ever took up an instrument. Your voice is so truly good.

Yes. To be honest, the CD is fabulous, but it’s not my favourite genre of music.

But I would love to hear Le Ministre cover some Greg Lake tunes: Take a Pebble, and C’est la Vie for example. That would be awesome!

ETA: Ooo, Lucky Man too.

Well, yeah, that’s what I meant when I said I liked your voice. :smiley:

This might be the time to mention that my friend Bruce and I sang “Lucky Man” and “Teach Your Children” by Crosby, Stills and Nash at our Grade 9 grad… You could throw “Epitaph” and “I Talk to the Wind” from the first King Crimson album in there, too. ELP were a huge influence on me getting into classical music - there was a two or three month period when I listened to “Brain Salad Surgery” at least once a day.

I played guitar long before I sang solo; I never got much into singing rock because so many of my friends wanted to do Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, April Wine, etc. I couldn’t sing any of that screamy high stuff, so I was relegated to being only a guitar player. Nobody but me wanted to do any Jethro Tull or Frank Zappa, where the songs were at least in my range.

Just for curiosity, did you enjoy “Shadows”, the last group of eight songs, any more than the rest of the album? I’m not fishing for compliments or anything; I’m really interested in people’s reaction to the different pieces. People who are fans of classical music (and particularly contemporary classical music) have a skewed point of view, and I’m trying to put together programs that genuinely appeal to people who don’t come from that background.

I like to picture it this way - a concert/recital/album is like a Venn diagram. One circle is the repertoire you want to perform, and the other circle is the repertoire your audience wants to hear (whether they’ve heard the piece before or not). The very best concerts are the ones with the maximum overlap between those two circles. So as I look to putting play lists together for performances and future albums, I’m trying to be aware of balancing the esoteric stuff with the more accessible stuff.