My first pit thread: SenorBeef

Ronald, you did good. Outstanding pitting.

The term is often used in a pejorative context, but not always; and the fact that a word may sometimes be used by right wing assholes doesn’t make it a “right wing slur” that we must all avoid. Are you suggesting that this Wikipedia article describing what it means was written by Ben Shapiro? I see not reason not to use it when appropriate.

I don’t even know what you think the “real term that isn’t controversial” is supposed to be.

ETA: I fully endorse the rest of this pitting of SenorBeef, of course, please excuse the minor aside.

What Sunny et. al. say- outstanding

Yep. It would be hilarious, if it weren’t so frightening and depressing, that the phrase ‘identity politics’ is invariably spat at the people whose platform is ‘everybody has the same rights’, because they frequently have to say ‘yes, including them’ because the people who are ‘focused on what’s important’ are constantly trying to take rights away from people based on gender, sexual preference, religion, etc…

Keep it up, Ronnie, you’re good people.

Fucking Taliban judge.

Absolutely. Well done!

Ron didn’t waste time, either. The first good shot was delivered in the first line.

Classic.

It’s the beard, I’ll bet. I haven’t given a pit thread a score above 9.5 in over three years.

Great writing, great attitude, great targeting. I’d go into more detail, but have to go trim these toenails.

OK. I’ve come around. Still, I keep reminding all y’all how important it is to win an election, even if it’s just for Boring Booker or Blithesome Biden.

[Moderating]
Don’t sweat it. You’re entirely inside of bounds here.
[/Moderating]

[Moderating]
This, on the other hand, is going to get you a warning. Most things go in the Pit. Racial and sexual slurs do not.

Do not do this again.
[/Moderating]

I couldn’t read it. I was laughing so hard at “Lick my shriveled tranny balls” that I had tears in my eyes.

I don’t post often, if fact, I’m practically a professional lurker but as someone who struggles with my own gender identity I had to chime in.

What the fuck is “fashionably trans”?

“SJW/Tumblr/trans community”?
That’s “personal experience”?
Jebus in a jumped up sidecar what utter fuckin’ horseshit.

I don’t give a shit about the political angles here. People are people. Trans, cis. White, black. Gay or straight. Fuck me, sometimes I think that asteroid can’t fuckin’ reset the planet soon enough.

Keep up the good fight Charlotte.

I respectfully request that the warning be rescinded. I did not know that ‘tranny’ was offensive.

Recall that Bill Clinton was Presdient the last time I visited North America. Almost all the American culture I get is from SDMB! If the inappropriatiateness of this word has been discussed, I missed it. I got involved in this thread for reasons unrelated to any of the gay community.

IOW, I did not know that ‘tranny’ – also used by OP one’s-self – was a bad word. I plead ignorance of the law.

ETA: Obviously I’m better informed now and will avoid any future use. Apologies to all.

Right. You are the ones who are the ball lickers.

Well deserved, but points off for having an easy target. I mean who couldn’t dunk on the quotes you had to work with there? :wink:

Primo pitting, Ronald.

But I like Tarantino movies.

Excellent pitting.

One small quibble: the term “identity politics” is not just used by right-wingers. Bernie Sanders, for example, has used it unironically on a number of occasions, such as Bernie Sanders — and many Democrats — keep confusing identity politics with tokenism - Vox.

Which leads me to observe that a left-of-center candidate who wins lots of votes from the demographic known as “women” is practicing “identity politics,” and a left-of-center candidate who wins lots of votes from the demographic known as “African Americans” is practicing “identity politics,” and a left-of-center candidate who wins lots of votes from the demographic called “Hispanics” is practicing “identity politics,” and left-of-center candidates who win lots of votes from the demographic groups called “gay people” or “trans people” are practicing “identity politics.” BUT a left-of-center candidate whose votes come primarily from the demographic consisting of “straight white men” (Hi, Bernie!) is NOT practicing “identity politics.” Someday maybe we’ll recognize how bizarre this is.