[QUOTE=OpalCat]
I was hugely into theater in high school (and my original major in college was theater) and I remember my junior year we were trying to decide what one-act play to put on at the state competition that was coming up. In past years we’d always rolled our eyes because the play that would win first place would invariably be some impenetrable, artsy-fartsy, pseudo-deep piece of crap. We decided that if that’s what they wanted, that’s what they’d get. So we wrote our own completely meaningless play, full of the artsy-fartsiest bullshit we could think of. Almost no dialogue, lots of music… Scenes like this one: two people sitting in chairs on stage, each with a pad of paper. One is a pad of black and white sheets, the other is colors. Each person is going through tearing out pages one by one and dropping them on the floor. Halfway through they stop, look at each other, and then hold out their pads to each other, offering to trade. Blackout. See what I mean? Totally pointless. There was also lots of “interpretive dance” stuff in it. The whole purpose WAS to be confusing and meaningless, and it WAS designed just to poke fun at the pretentious judges.
[/QUOTE]
This is exactly why people think art critics are snobs that are being swindled by artists with no talent because a lot of people have similar stories.
Case in point:
I took an Intro to Visual Arts class in college (coincidentally at RIT) and part of the class required us to create our own art as well as study art history. Our first assignment was some “transformative collage” type thing that we then had to explain.
I took a picture from RIT’s website of a group of students and ran it through about six Photoshop filters until I had a completely unrecognizable glob of black ink. I wrote up some ridiculous paragraph about feelings of isolation on the campus and the dreary feeling most students get in winter. I then added that my use of Photoshop (and overuse of the filters) was a comment on the school’s technical bent. I finished up with something about how it made us all unrecognizable faces in the crowd. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.
My grade:
A+ Truly insightful. You GET IT!