My mother's use of the word "spicy" (mild)

The use of spicy in both ways is incredibly common.

That’s what I was thinking. Also I was thinking how I feel sorry for the mom.

Dangit. I’ve got to call a repairman today. Our spicy water heater is on the fritz again.

And last week we had to get our pungent tank pumped out.

I’m glad to not have the OP and his/her mother in my circle of acquaintances. They both sound tiresome.

To be fair, the OP’s goat seems to be unusually gettable.

Oh, enough about your promiscuous mother!

OP, you’re talking to a group of mostly older people who bitch and moan about how language changes. They’re not going to have sympathy because they probably make the same mistake she does.

Notice how you specifically mentioned how people get confused by her usage, proving it’s out of the norm for your area, yet no one noticed? They’ve got to defend their language use from the young 'un.

“Spicy” is, by default, a term for “spicy hot.” There are some antiquated uses where “spicy” is still used for having spices, but context makes it quite clear. If people are confused, then she’s not using them in those contexts.

May I ask where she’s from? States up north are more likely to use “spicy” in this way, due to a historical lack of spicy hot dishes. It’s why SPAM means “spiced ham” even though the “spice” is sugar.

She’s past retirement age–when a lot of parents wind up moving back in with their kids. But, yeah, it’s much more likely OP is mooching off mom.

But I’ll be sure to make fun of you if you ever wind up in a less than ideal living situation.

Poor Scholar Beardpig. First he gets dogpiled by the board, then he gets white knighted by Big T. I honestly don’t know which is worse.

Capsaicin is not chili-free, you fuckers!

kudos

Let me help you. It’s the white knight.

Yeah…Pungent is used for flavours, but it’s strong flavours (and generally unpleasant taken on their own), not hot or spicy.

Actually, I’ve made this sweet and pungent sauce recipe numerous times and it is simply delicious.

I’ve also made a ginger sauce recipe I would describe as pungent that is also delicious.

So those of you defending that use of “spicy” meaning “containing spices”, would you seriously call pumpkin pie “spicy”? (And the first one of you who goes on about old Nana’s famous horseradish n’ ghost pepper pumpkin pie, you know where to get off.)

My Mom is 81, and will often say “Is it stove hot?, or hot, hot?”

Also, the way she mispronounces words would give George W. Bush a run for his money.

Dude, it’s your mom, some day you’re going to wish she were still around, talking what ever way she wants.

Be nicer to her.

The usage I understand best is that “spicy” means strongly flavored with any types of spices – like tacos with a lot of cumin, or Indian food with a lot of curry powder. Mildly spicy stuff like punkin pie or the above-mentioned “spice cake” isn’t what I think of when I hear “spicy”.

But I used to think “spicy” meant specifically “hot-spicy”, and that isn’t what I think any more.

Just google “spicy pumpkin pie” and you will see that is, indeed, how many English speakers use the term. For example. Or this. (Those are just the first two hits for recipes I have using those terms.) Or, better yet, even King Arthur’s official website comes up with a hit and a recipe for those terms.

Would I call it that? Well, like I said before, I avoid the term “spicy” to mean “heavily spiced” because of the confusion it causes, but if someone talked to me about a “spicy” pumpkin pie, I would assume they are using the word to mean “highly spiced,” not “spiced with hot pepper or similar,” although I’m sure there are pies like that out there. I am actually a little surprised that people have not encountered the word “spicy” to mean “heavily spiced” as opposed to solely mean piquant/hot.

1969 Alka Seltzer commercial: - YouTube

Who knew that Jalapeno Meatballs were invented way back in the '60s? I think the OP’s mother might be winning this one.

Well, to be fair, hot pepper flakes are used in Italian cooking, so I personally interpret the “spicy” there to refer to that type of spice, although I don’t know for sure.