My mother's use of the word "spicy" (mild)

I love this :). And maybe I’m also on the faculty, because her use of spicy would annoy me also. Sure it’s technically correct but it all depends on context and it sounds like others beside the OP have expressed their confusion / surprise at her usage. I have also never heard it IRL used to refer to sweet things and if I heard a stranger use it that way I would think they were a bit dim.
My own dear mother had the annoying habit of using extreme descriptors. The plants were never dry; they were **bone **dry!!! The house was never warm; it was an oven!!!God help the wait staff who had the misfortune of having her at their station, because if the food wasn’t *piping *hot! then it naturally was ice cold!. Yep; parents can be annoying.

Side note: I grew up only hearing “savory” to mean “delicious”. In fact, a local cafe does a brunch they call “Savory Sunday”. Meaning it tastes good.
For fifty-some years I never even suspected there was more to it than that.

Until a friend from Australia invited me over for brunch: “Lovely you could make it. I made some scones. Blueberry, or would you rather have savory ones?”
All I could think was “Ummm, is she really asking if I want good-tasting scones? Are the blueberry ones not that good?”

Yeah. It would be downright bizarre if it took me to that KMart full of rotting Straight Dope books which opened into a 1960s Modernist building full of killer robots.

Also, your mother swims out to meet troop ships and calls black pepper “spicy”.

Did you get any scratches on that pulpit dragging it down the stairs to the basement?

And the Red Hot Chili Peppers would like a word with you. Also Pungent Stench.

That’sa some spicy meatball.

Here’s a thought, maybe cut back on the caffeine?

My immediate family is Italian/Dutch-German, dad/mom respectively. On the Pennsylvania Dutch side, salt and pepper means the food will be spicy. Teaspoon of garlic is spicy. Adding paprika to garnish the deviled eggs? Also spicy. Sweet & Sour chicken from Woo Tang’s is spicy. Cilantro on an enchilada is spicy. Italian, same way when it comes to food, especially desserts. Too much wine in the Tiramisu means it’s over spiced.

I’ve heard hundreds of people from Lehigh Valley refer to spicy, meaning adding favors that aren’t included, to the dish. And it seems pretty common among mid-westerners and even some Mexican people I’ve worked with-- as in adding mild salsa, guacamole or blue cheese dressing to a salad is spicy, or spicing your food.

Do I disagree? Yes, I think it’s stupid. But I can’t change culture by myself.

That’s another one. If someone makes a pumpkin pie and mentions they’ll be adding cloves you hear, “OOOOOH! YOURE MAKING IT SPICY!!” from an aunt somewhere in the house.

I usually say spicy for hot things that have black pepper or something. If it’s chili peppers I just call it hot, not spicy. (note the irony of chili peppers being hot)

I don’t normally use spicy for things that are over spiced in other ways but it makes more sense to me.

And I thought pungent was for flavors that had bitterness to them. I don’t use much in the way of bitter ingredients so I’m not too familiar with what should be called pungent.

I’ve got to wonder if pepper flakes are really part of Italian food or if that’s how Italians cook American style. I’ve had it in Italian food and liked it but I wouldn’t know how authentic it is.

When I make chili, family members ask if it is hot or mild. Sometimes I will turn down pumpkin pie if it’s too spicy. But I am well aware that some people use words like hot or spicy differently. It’s a big world out there!

That was my main understanding of the word as I was growing up in Michigan, too. We didn’t really have a word meaning, uh, savory, but I’m glad that savory is catching on. We could use “salty” like in Spanish, but Spanish speakers know it’s not literally salty, and we Americans aren’t so bright.

You are wong. Try expanding your world.

I was just looking at my bottle of Mr Pibb, and it says right on the side “spicy cherry soda”. The spice is cinnamon.

So, I have a very strong aversion to capsaicin, so how to describe it is a topic that matters to me. Like, it matters that I make myself clearly understood, because otherwise I might put something with capsaicin my my mouth.

Sometimes, I’ve told someone “I don’t like spicy food” at an Indian restaurant or someplace where the food is highly seasoned, and they look at me sadly and say that all the food has spices in it. So I KNOW there are a lot of people who use “spicy” that way. When they say that, I clarify that it’s “hot spicy, you know, with capcaicin” that I don’t like. But only a tiny fraction of Americans know what capcaicin is. I do usually get my preferences across, but I can absulutely guarantee that “spicy” does not always mean “contains capcaicin”. I have more success with “I don’t like hot food”, but then I have to clarify that I enjoy cinamon and ginger, and am not averse to a little black pepper.

Agreed.

Huh? Isn’t salty, literally, “salado”? “Savory” in the general sense of tastiness would be “sabroso.” I don’t know what they’d call the specific umami flavor.

except for you, of course.

Yes, “salado” for “savory as in not dulce” and “sabroso” for “savory as in tasty.”

Me: “A mi no me gustan los muffins dulces; prefiero los salados.”
You: “Que lastima, los dos son muy sabrosos!”

I have never known an Australian who would use “spicy” in the the sense of “just hot”. Or anybody from England. Both “English” speaking countries.

Or, for that matter, any of the English speaking German French Greek or Japanese English speaking students I’ve shared with, but the subject might not have come up in those cases.

But that was just a rant from the OP, so no harm done. Of more interest, my relative from central Illinois first met the use of the term “spicy” to mean just “capsicum hot” only when he returned to the USA in the 50’s