My new diet

Lots and lots of water.

I pretty much ditched rice. I like it just fine, but I ate it before mainly to serve as an edible bed for something else, like chili. On the bread side, though, my weakness is Merita (a regional bread … don’t know if you’ve heard of it). I love Merita. Fond childhood memories, and all that.) So I switched to it’s lighter version @40 calories per slice in both white and wheat. Really, it’s almost the same recipe as the regular, except it’s smaller in volume and is sliced a bit thinner. But I do also like the dark breads like pumpernickel. The only bread I really don’t like is that rye stuff with the weird specks of something in it that tastes like tongue-biting dill.

A great resource, thanks! I’ve adjusted my numbers accordingly. (703 per third, instead of 840 — but I was seldom getting that high anyway…)

I don’t know if it’ll help you, but for me, the hunger thing is taken care of by eating pretty much all day long instead of waiting until I’m hungry. What happens if I wait is that I believe I need two sandwiches instead of one, or a mixing bowl full of salad instead of a salad bowl. Make yourself a sandwich (or equivalent that you like) and resolve that you’ll take half an hour to eat it. Take tiny bites. Wait a minute between them. Sip something as you go. Savor each bite and enjoy it. Once you’ve gotten used to it, you’ll see what a waste the Simpons gulp and wash down really was.

I hear that a lot, but can you explain (in layman’s terms) the rationale behind it? I mean, you drink a glass of water, and then you pee in twenty minutes. What has been accomplished dietary-wise?

I believe the idea is that it helps keep your stomach feeling full.

I grew up in Chapel Hill; I know my Merita :). My mom was a natural-foods-maven, though, so we ended up eating lots of whole-wheat homemade bread, and that’s where my own childhood memories are.

And I can’t stand rye, either. It’s the caraway seeds that you hate, I wager. They’re nasty.

Daniel

Congratulations, Liberal!

Most sane reviews of diet/nutrition literature I’ve read point to the reduction of calories as the most important aspect of dieting, as opposed to low-fat or low-carb. My only caution would be to at least keep track of your saturated fat intake, and consult a doctor as to what is an appropriate amount per day.

If you can find a copy of a book called Eater’s Choice, it has great weekly meal plans for sane daily calorie and sat-fat intake levels without restricting types of food. It also has excellent low sat-fat recipes (well, at least all the non-baked-goods recipes are excellent: don’t try the waffles) that are flavorful as well as light-tasting. And before you think I’m some low-fat nut with no taste buds, I’ll just state that I hate low-fat desserts, SnackWells are the spawn of the devil, and you will get me to eat a rice cake when you cram it past my cold, dead lips.

The increased activity level is essential. Don’t ever overdo it to the point that you won’t go out the next day. Helpful sane advice is to be found in Covert Bailey’s Ultimate Fit or Fat book: his chapter on exercise advises, “Start So Slow That People Make Fun of You”. Three or four 10-minute walking sessions that you barely notice when stretched out over a day are at least as good as one 45-minute session that leaves you wanting to stay in bed for the next two days.

As you feel more and more comfortable with increased activity levels, you might want to look into the Couch-to-5k running program at CoolRunning.com. I tried it and it works! I went from catching my breath after climbing three steps to my porch to jogging for half and hour straight. had to get new running shoes though, so whatever suits your taste and budget.

It has been concluded from some studies and surveys that some hunger cravings are actually cravings for water, and can be satisfied with nice tall glass. Also, urination is a prime means for the body to control its salt content, so a reasonable supply of water in the system at all times is vital.

This is definitely true for me. If I find myself unable to think of NOTHING BUT FOOD, usually it just means that I’m thirsty. If my stomach rumbles, then I’m actually hungry. If I’m just fixated on food (and it can even be things like potato chips, pretzels, bread and butter, etc. that aren’t particularly thirst-slaking) if I just drink a glass of water, the cravings go away.

Er, change that to “able” and “nothing”, or “unable” and “anything.” Your choice. :slight_smile:

Ah, got it. Maybe it’s because I sip liquids all day that I don’t experience that. When it’s not Pepsi, it’s coffee or V-8 or tomato juice (or soup) or chocolate drink or something. It used to be tea, but the tannic acid gave my heartburn a fit. However, now that I’m experiencing no heartburn, maybe I should give tea a new try. (Southern tea — ice cold, sweet, and aged at least a day or two. The aging reduces the bitterness and helps less sugar go further toward sweetening.)

As far as exercise, I don’t really do anything other than walking. Frankly, with a yard our size to tend, and nine rooms plus three baths to clean (I cycle through a week by detailing two rooms a day), I feel like I should credit myself something. I mean, I do work up a sweat with all the bending and reaching and whatnot involved in all that.

My problem with these categories is that I never know where to place myself. I do an hour of weight training every other day and 45 minutes of intensive cardio every other day, and I cycle pretty much everywhere I go. I assume that puts me well out of the “sedentary” category, but am I “active”?

If I’m considered active, that means almost 3000 calories a day. I don’t think I could do that on a daily basis if I tried. I usually lie somewhere between 1400 and 1800.

Well, It’s amazing and confusing the conflicting advice we all get out there. I’ve been going on the “wait-until-your-stomach-growls-hungry” advice lately, and I think that for me, that’s too late. There is a less-intense feeling that I get before my stomach growls and I think I might try for that one. Thanks for helping me think about that.

Use the Harris Benedict formula in this link and use the “lightly active” and “moderatley active” multiplers to boundary your ranges. You should be somewhere between those two numbers.

Think carefully about this. You’re likely to falsify your prediction by this rash action.

Both. We tried leaving bags of low-carb bread out in the open when we first switched and they’d start growing mold in just a couple of days. That’s why we started keeping them in the freezer.

I have a weird question that I would like an answer to…

First a little background info, on what my knowledge about calories are: PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG.

It seems to me that when you eat something, your body leeches out the calories from the food that you intake and then uses that for your energy. If the food has more calories that can be taken from the food than you can burn, then it gets stored as fat, otherwise you’re body has a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

Based on the above statement which is not based on anything other than, “it seems logical”; Is it possible to that you could take in so much food at one time that it begins to pass through your system before all the calories have been ‘removed’ from it?

Example: Assume person X needs 2000 calories a day (14,000 calories a week) to maintain his current weight. During a week, he takes in 21,000 calories (average 1000 extra calories per day) Mathematically he has taken in enough calories to gain 2 pounds for the week. (7000 / 2 = 3500, 1 lb. = 3500 calories)

If he ate those ‘extra’ 7000 calories on the first day or two of the week, would it be possible that some of that food would go through your system without being used to create energy for you body?

There was actually a General Questions thread on that sort of thing some time back. I can’t for the life of me remember its title or any really memorable keywords. I would say “calories”, but that might bring up an assload of threads, plus it wasn’t really about calories per se, thought that was incidental to it.

Well… yes. In fact, the calorie count of food isn’t all the potential energy contained in the food; it’s just what your body will get from it. It can’t get it all. So in a sense, your body is already doing this every day.

Now, I don’t have any numbers, but I believe that if you consumed 7000 extra calories in a day, some of it would go straight through you, though I don’t know how much. Two questions:

1. I hesitate to speak (or even think) of what it would do to your solid output.
  2. Do you have any idea how much 7000 calories is?