My new neighbor thinks I'm a butthead.

I was thinking of a different “tree” of course. ahem :wink:

I just wanted to say that you haven’t done anything nearly as buttheaded as wanting to cut down what I assume are perfectly healthy mature trees. I really hate this kind of attitude - if you wanted a treeless yard, buy a yard without trees, dammit! Leave those decades old, beautiful, majestic firs where they are! (I’m talking about your neighbour, the butthead, not you, racer.)

Your neighboor is the butthead.

I’m not sure where you live, racer72, but your local government might be pretty upset with your neighbor for chopping down mature, disease free trees if he didn’t have a permit. In Washington D.C., there’s a new law that says for every tree a homeowner takes down, new trees equalling the circumference of the felled tree must be planted on their property. For example, let’s say the felled tree was 50 inches in circumference. That means a combination of new trees must equal 50 inches around to be planted on the homeowner’s property. You might want to check with your local government to see if your neighbor was allowed to chop down those trees.

Was the idea to use your property the idea of your neighbour or the guys removing the trees?

By my count, it’s roughly 20 votes for your neighbor being the butthead; 0 votes that you’re the butthead. Make that 21 for the neighbor.

We once had a neighbor cut the top 3 feet off a beautiful 8 foot fir tree that I used to decorate for christmas. He lived in the apartment next door, and claimed it was blocking his view, but there was no way he could even see it, from his apartment. We are convinced it was so he could see into our living room easier, as he walked up the driveway. Completely destroyed the tree, and gave me stomach pains every time I had to look at it.

Racer, you never said what the reasoning was on the tree-trim job.

WHY would Butthead send someone over to trim your tree?

Reading between the lines, I think the reason that clown wants to use your property to drop his trees (and cutting down yours to make room) is that he doesn’t like trees at all, and this is an excuse to clear yours out in the process.

I’d get REAL ugly with him and the tree guys about butchering the one in your yard. That was over the line, and could constitute vandalism in my book.

Must have been scared by a pinecone as a kid…

I’ve been going through this off and on since we bought our house with a guy across the street

I dont know what tree we have but this one has some sort of sap that blows around every year

The neighbor across the street and ah ouse over has a overly huge rv parked and wanted to cut out tree down becuase his rv gets sticky becuase of our tree

My cousin in law was going to cut the tree down and me and my cousin threw a fit saying tough crap Its our tree and I like it where it is and he can cover his rv

Its gone as far as him sending a tree service acting like someone here called them I’ve told them no one here didnt call them

I’m glad I’m not being a “redneck hick” for saying its my tree my property and I can care less who dosent like it from thre responses here

I’ll second featherlou’s opinion about people who cut down perfectly healthy trees.

Several years ago, we acquired new across-the-street neighbors. One of the first things they did was hire a tree removal service to rip out the huge, well-established oak tree in their front yard, leaving a drab expanse of boring old grass with nary a shrub or sapling in sight.

I did get some satisfaction in the summertime, though, watching them swelter in their own juices in their sun-drenched yard while I kicked back in the shade, drinking iced tea.

My €0.02: This opinion that not many people above seem to hold, but I would say do not sue, threaten to sue, or pursue anything against this arsehole if you’re planning to live in your current house for any length of time. By all means refuse him any permission to do anything connected to your property, but do it politely, with a smile. The indignity you have suffered is as nothing compared to the unpleasantness of living with an ongoing neighborly feud.

In Breckenridge Colorado, a person cut down a number of healthy trees in HIS OWN YARD and the city is making him replace them. He didn’t get a permit, go through the planning process etc. While I don’t necessarily agree with this, you might want to check with city/county planning dept. about cutting down mature trees.

And yes, he and his tree trimmer is the butthead. No question.

And I would have to agree with jjimm. I couldn’t imagine living next to someone you sued.

I used to have to park under a bunch of those (I still have the sap on my car, two years later - damned hard to get off!), but it never in a million years would have occurred to me to cut them down because they were inconveniencing me! I could have just parked on the street instead of my stall if it was such a big deal. Your neighbour needs to get over himself. Here’s an idea; tell him the trees were there long before he was born, and they have more right to be there than he does.

I’d sure get some photographic evidence of the damage to your place to date. I hope you never need it in the future but it simply can’t hurt.

Also, next time he wants to discuss things with you, especially if he’s still giving you dirty looks, you might want to make sure a third party is present. Good luck and yes, he’s a double cheeked butthead for his rudeness to you and for cutting down beautiful mature trees.

We cut a lot of Doug firs in the open space (33 acres) of our homeowners association when they’re dead or a menace to property. In WA state, it requires permission of the city. They typically ask that wood remain as habitat (if it’s not on a property line) and trees be planted to replace them. But I digress.

Your neighbor’s irritated because he’s a cheapskate. His tree service can climb the Douglas Fir and top it – then bring it down on his own property. It probably adds $100 to the cost of bringing down a tree.

The jerk wants you to pay the cost of his tree removal. It’s perfectly clear who the butthead is.

I’m amazed at how you’re looking at this, racer. I would be tremendously angry if some jackass started ruining my property and the plants there. In fact, I would be angry at his taking down the trees in his yard. I don’t get that at all. He wanted the house so badly but then destroyed the rest of the property? Stupid. Just stupid.