My obesity: Finally an answer that makes sense!

There’s certainly something to the idea that not all calories are the same. But this simplification doesn’t seem to be supported by the evidence yet. IMO, the answer is and has always been moderation, exercise, and common sense. If you’re worried about added sugars just cook your own food - don’t buy packaged stuff. Cook your own and you’ll eat better tasted food and it’ll be better for you.

Stop reading ingredient lists – buy ingredients.

Sandra, I think this is serious and I’m still doing my own Google research. I also think it’s quite new in that science is even today being reported.

I got excited because it actually makes so much sense to me. I really think understanding sugar is as important as understanding overall calories.

Back later.

For sure. But even then be careful - see the sugar in some tins of chopped toms.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this new idea, but I’ve been doing my own digging around for four years since I first started with Weight Watchers and then moved on to my own low carb diet. I have never seen any evidence to support your claims but I can assure you that there has been a LOT of research in this area and it’s all very interesting reading.

That’s not to say I disagree with your overall sentiment to eat less sugar for easier weight loss. I just disagree with the specific claims you are making.

You might like to start with Fathead which is a full length documentary available on YouTube. It explains the hormonal effect of sugar consumption on appetite. It was made on a budget so it’s not the flashest of documentary productions, but it is a good introduction.

Yeah, who knew you should check the contents label and not just take the sellers word that it’s: ‘lite’, ‘low cal’, ‘natural’ etc? How were you on diets for twenty years and never stumbled upon this piece of info? It’s like the number one instruction on every diet, READ THE ACTUAL INGREDIENTS.

I’m glad you finally stumbled upon this learning, and thanks for sharing but this is hardly news to my mind.

Our family (two adults, two kids) watched a documentary called “Fed Up” on Netflix several months ago. It goes into the effects sugar has on your body and its addictive qualities. It was really eye-opening. We all went on a two-week added-sugar detox diet after watching the documentary (sugar occurring naturally, like in fruits, was OK). It was incredible how many foods we normally ate had added sugar. The downside was that we found ourselves eating a lot more fat. But I’m glad we did it, as it really raised our awareness of how much added sugar we were normally eating - a lot. Even with cooking at home and not drinking soda.

So I think you’re headed in the right direction. If I had more energy to spend towards it, I would try to limit our added sugar intake on an ongoing basis.

I think the reason there is so much controversy about this beyond scientific studies is that each person has a different reaction to the sugar and carbs they eat. They consider type 2 diabetics to be those who have a blood sugar level above a certain point. People whose level is five points below are going to have more of an insulin response than people whose level is 20 below. The more excessive insulin response, the harder it is to lose weight without limiting carbs; people are not just diabetic or not diabetic.

That’s a strong point, Zulma.

Another change for me is that I’m now seeing most of the sugar in a product as not flavouring but as like putting water a beer or glass of wine - you’re diluting the (in this case, nutritional) content with a cheaper replacement. It’s mostly a con.

All carbs are sugar, though.

I’m currently out of ketosis, and I no longer have the appetite control I once had; I’m maintaining on pure discipline and not the low-carb magic. I don’t eat sweets, and really never had. But bread, tortillas, noodles/pasta, etc., are all sugar equivalents.

Discipline kind of sucks, and I’m not sure if eating awesome, wonderful, homemade garlic bread is worth the discipline. It was certainly easy to lose 40 kg in ketosis. That’s not hyperbole, either. “Easy.”

Are you saying that you ate an entire pot of soup as a meal? :confused: If so, i see your problem, and it ain’t sugar content.

While I think the idea of an absolute sugar limit is exaggerated (aren’t food recommendations always exaggerated), I think the usual mantra: a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is also incorrect. When I started metformin, which I have been taking for about 10 years now, I spontaneously lost about 20 lb over the next year or so, with no actual attempt at losing weight. This is a well-known side effect of metformin. The action of metformin is to inhibit the release of sugar by the liver and also the release of insulin, so you can draw your own conclusions. I try to avoid using sugar, but I am not fanatic about it. I do think that fat and protein stick to your ribs better than carbs, though, so that may be one aspect of it.

“A New Concept in the Treatment of Obesity” was published in 1963. Dr. Robert Atkins was inspired by this sugar elimination theory and followed it himself. He recommended it to others in an article in Vogue in 1970 and published his first comprehensive diet book in 1972.

So, the idea has been around for quite a long time. Not sure why it has been poo-pooed for 50 years. Most people who “discover” the “secret” do get excited and find that it works for them. They also tend to find that it can be a maddening existence, being that sugar and starch is in everything.

Where do the extra 200 calories being stored as fat come from?

Regards,
Shodan

You should stop buying food that comes in cans and boxes.

Buy fresh produce from the produce section of your supermarket. Buy meat from the butcher section. Buy cheese and eggs from the dairy department. Go home and cook. (Do not add sugar to your food. It isn’t difficult to cook without sugar — I go for weeks without using a recipe that calls for sugar, it doesn’t belong in most vegetable dishes, most meat dishes, most baking other than dessert baking).

Don’t drink soft drinks, sweetened tea, or other sweetened beverages. Develop a taste either for plain old water, or seltzer water, or coffee without sugar, or unsweetened tea.

Make dessert a once-a-week departure from the usual; don’t eat dessert after every supper.

Metric weights aren’t very intuitive to me, so I had to convert ** up_the_junction**'s 600 grams of lentil soup. He ate over 1.3 POUNDS of soup last night.

** up_the_junction**, I know you’ve been working on your obesity for a long time but from this thread it sounds like you haven’t learned any of the basics. You need to read labels, not count on marketing to be truthful, and apparently you have horrible portion control.

Maybe not demonstrative of your exact phrasing, but this is as close as you’re gonna get:

It’s soup. It’s 1.2 pints. Like a pint of beer, and a bit. One of those except this contained 474 calories. For dinner :slight_smile:

#stayclassy

You’re not going to get this unless you change how you’re thinking about it.

tbf, I really don’t think it’s easy - unless you remember the 50s or something a particular way of thinking is ingrained in us all, our parents even brought us up with this being normal.

This is like tobacco - including the generational indusrtry propaganda and misinformation - except this is more pernicious.

This is simplest answer and has worked for me. If it is in can, jar or box, think long and hard (and read the label) before buying it.

Right, I hear that.

I’m also thinking about the immigrant groups from developing countries who cook from fresh ingredients because that is what they know.

This other idea of sugar being used as a cheap replacement ingredient (for proper food) is fascinating me …