My own surprise patriotism

Mr Jim, your two consecutive phrases should be taken together: “I wasn’t thinking clearly though. I may telephone and speak directly.” The first should inform the last - you’re a little bit crazy at the moment, and you admit it. Don’t act on your current temporary weirdness.

Calling the shop will make the people a) laugh at you behind your back, and possibly stomp on the flags or stick them up their arses when the shop is closed, and b) think that all North Americans are as insanely patriotic as many US residents.

We in the UK don’t give a fuck about this sort of symbolism - just look at how we treat our own flag on souvenirs/t-shirts etc.

Let it lie.

http://www.australianflag.org.au/protocol.php

All the info on the Australian flag you could want. :slight_smile: Although like I said, I reckon the vast majority of Aussies wouldn’t know or care about proper flag protocol - draping yourself in the flag for sporting events is about as patriotic as it gets.

I didn’t know how patriotic I was until I nearly cried the first time I saw a flag and heard the Star-Spangled Banner in boot camp.

Because the staff had let the flag get that way out of ignorance, and if the cashier hadn’t been informed, she probably would’ve let it happen again and offended somebody else. Hopefully now there’s been a change in policy.

Idlewild, you’re in Massachusetts and you saw this?

As for all national flags being on the same level, it appears to be customary in Australia to fly the Australian flag above all other national flags. I’m pretty sure that’s the standard here, too, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it were the standard everywhere.

It’s not the Australian standard according to the link provided by Kayeby and it’s definitely not the protocol in the US.

Sort of. I misread this:

[quote=Flag Protocol]
The Flag normally takes precedence over all other national flags when flown in Australia]

as meaning that the Australian flag should fly over other flags, but it’s more general than that. And:

So apparently, “precedence” means that the home flag is raised first, lowered last, and put in a position of honor.

I didn’t know how patriotic I was until last year’s 1916 memorial in Dublin. There was a military parade with music. It was all quite moving and many in the crowd including myself had tears in their eyes. However, I don’t know anything about protocol related to our flag and have never heard that a flag shouldn’t touch the ground.

It’s a very bannery sort of street, though most of them are not quite as patriotic. Mostly bunnies. With big pastel flowers. Which is also not something I was accustomed to seeing on a regular basis, although it didn’t make me shake my head as much as the flag-of-a-flag.

We were buying Marmite and Moro bars - we must have missed each other :wink:

I would certainly react if it was a proper fullsize NZ flag (all proper flags should be given due respect and proper treatment - it’s courtesy), but a smaller flag for sport events - I’d probably let it slide. But when you are a long way from home, sometimes the little things catch you…

Si