My rage burns with the fire of 105 degrees

There was an article in this morning’s paper about that. It sounds like a pretty bad situation. At least here, we had almost caught up on water before this spell hit.

The paper is predicting “only” 98 today, unlike yesterday’s TV prediction of 108. We’ll see.

Calling in sick to go to the mountains is more common in the winter around here. :slight_smile: Don’t think I haven’t considered it though. This weekend, definitely!

Sounds like a great time to go to Rocky Mountain. Just hang out at the Pikes Peak visitor center all day.

Like a convection oven that’s the size of your city.

Unless you’re in Chicago. The humidity is choking us. Heat index is predicted to be over 100% and the humidity is like 99%. Or so it feels. You steer clear of naugahide this time of year. It’s like living in someone’s giant arm pit.

Thank you for the explanations. I lived in southern Ontario for 38 years. I’m hard-pressed to think of anyone I ever knew who had central air-conditioning. It was just one of those things that was deemed unnecessary. Down here, I’m equally hard-pressed to think of a place I’ve been without central air. If I recall my history well, air conditioning was invented by a doctor in Florida, to keep his patients cool.

I learned something else from this place today. Thank you.

You crazy people with your “seasons”… I don’t know how you do it.

I’d go outside to see how hot it was in the sun, but we’re completely fogged in right now. :smiley:

Much like here in Baton Rouge, LA.

You can’t really escape it anywhere you go (except the Orkneys, and Resolute, etc.). Around here, you walk outside, find a comfy spot, stand still, then wait. You’ll notice that your clothes are thoroughly denched inside of five minutes.

Well, Denver is a mile-high, which, according to my calculations, means that you are only about 80 feet from the sun. Of course it will be hot.

(I used to live near Denver. 109? Wow! I moved here to Arizona to get warm. Seems like I didn’t have to move after all.)

It would be nice if we could go to the mountains to escape the heat, but my brother called my from Aspen the other day, and said it was 91 there. 91 DEGREES IN ASPEN! WTF!

Anyway, yeah, hot. TV news said 104 today, but I’m sure it will be hotter than that most place. But it could be worse. I get to drive to work in my race car tomorrow. No AC in it. Then, I get to head to a race, put myself into a 10 lb race suit with basically no ventilation, and drive myself at high speeds on dirt roads with the windows closed. We pour sweat off us in suits when the temp is 75 out. I can’t imagine what it will be like when it’s 100.

If Denver’s like Calgary (and we’ve pretty much established it is), very few people have a/c in their houses (a few more would have it in their cars). No outdoor pools, either.

That was a very interesting article, cerri. Us Western Canadians know exactly how to handle killing cold, but I’m not sure about killing heat.

Down here, with the year-round humidity, if the temperature outside is not below, say, 45 F, the a/c has to be on to feel comfortable indoors.

The car a/c runs almost year round, as well.

Oops, I mean very few private outdoor pools. There are city pools, of course.

A few years ago I met a woman through a chat line. We would talk almost every day. I’m in Boston, she was in Florida. On a lot of days I would complain about the brutal heat, and she would deride me because I was such a wimp. “Try being in Florida, we know what heat is down here. You just can’t handle it.” So we would check the weather to compare temperatures. That summer it was consistantly 4 degrees hotter in Boston than in Ocala. “Yeah”, she’d say, “But it’s the humidity. You don’t know what it’s like living near the coast.” I had to point out to her that Boston is not exactly in the midwest.

If that didn’t convince her, I’d ask if she was calling from outside. Nope, inside, all the time. “You got a fan going?” I’d ask. Of course not. She had central air. Me? One box fan that was pretty much broken.

She’d still call me a wimp.

Yes, really, what is with that???

I moved here to escape the horrible, horrible heat and humidity in Memphis…cos surely it can’t get really hot in Minnesota.

That’s bullshit.

Saturday was as hot as anything I had experienced (although…that weather would have been average in Memphis–I just wasn’t expecting it is all).

Funny that I would choose to live in a place with extremes both cold and hot.

I am very melodramatic, I guess. I didn’t even want to post after I read that there are places at 118.

I’m in Western New York state and pretty much wishing for death. It hasn’t been over 90° in several years. This year we’ve had 6 or 7 days in the 90’s setting records.

A/C?, what A/C. It’s not 109°, but it feels as brutal with the humidity. A friend of mine is up from Phoenix and thinks this is insane. He can’t wait to go home to his dry heat.

Oh, we all have it now. The government just doesn’t want us to use it. In fact, if we use more than they think we should, they charge us more per kilowatt hour.

Only one month into summer too.

I’ve been a native Southerner my whole life, and I’ve never gotten used to the humidity. Going to be in the 100’s this weekend.

I really hate summer. The only thing I like about this season is that Fall is next.

Seriously. I haven’t seen out the windows of my house in weeks because they are fogged up from the humidity. My glasses fog up immediately upon exiting the car.

Although I’m one of those people who feels best at temps between 40 and 70, I’d rather broil than freeze.

The OP should quit bitching. The mountain climate is such that you actually get a cooldown at night. You don’t get that here in eastern Nebraska.

I work the 11-7 shift. It’s still 86 with nearly 100% humidity when I get to work and is still 79 with nearly 100% when I leave. The guy on the radio reading a report prepared at the airport, where nobody lives, usually comes up with some ridiculously low figure like 68 or 70, but in the real Omaha it’s 79 at 7 a.m.
I work as a stationary engineer at a 12-building university campus. I record the real temp., not the bogus one broadcast on the radio, every hour. I also see that the chiller loads remain nearly constant all night despite the fact that nobody but a few janitors and an occasional security guard is in any given building all night.

I’ve just returned from a week in the northern Black Hills. Yes, it got to 100 every day, but 100 at high altitude feels like 80 down here. And you feel a noticeable cooldown within 1 hour of sundown. We spent 3 days in an un-airconditioned cabin and 2 days camping in a tent; we were hot, but not miserable, for several hours each afternoon, but needed blankets at night.

I’d take the dry heat of Denver or anywere else at high altitude over the humidity here any day. And I’d take 100 over sub-freezing as well.

No kidding. Even though extreme heat bothers me, I look forward to summer every year. Too hot? Perfect excuse to eat ice cream! Golden engraved invitation to go to the beach! Great opportunity to sit on the porch and enjoy the extended daylight.

But it you really love Winter all that much, go down to your local 7-Eleven and buy a bunch of slurpees. Dump them into a bucket. Add dirt. Stick your foot in. Instant Winter!

Me too. Although to be honest, even with temps in the 90s and humidity in the 90s, I’ve only had one night (Sunday) that I was literally too hot to sleep. I’d rather have four months of this than four months of winter. (it snows from October to April, but I’m not counting the first or last month since the snow then isn’t steady.) I would much rather sweat my ass off than freeze it off, but I think that’s because I’m not a “layers” person. Being all bundled up so I don’t freeze to death is cumbersome and not very good for my general mood. At least hot and sticky doesn’t involve excess cloth to impede your movements, and hey, you never have to shovel " too hot."

We had something the last Saturday of June, though, that I have never before experienced in my life - dry heat. I thought it was a myth that it could happen in the North East, but when the temps were in the mid-90s but the humidity only around 40% it was pretty neat - didn’t even feel as hot as 80 does in really high humidity. Wish we had it a lot more often.

Are there any parts of the country that both get this dry heat thing and never have temps that fall below 40F? I’ll probably never move to another part of the country, but it’s something to keep in mind…