My Rotary-Dial Phone Is Working!

An app?!! What are you trying to pull? You want a real rotary-dial
cellphone.

I would have got one of those, but Verizon doesn’t use SIM cards.

I always wanted a Princess phone (in pink of course). Damn it, I miss the old-fashioned telephone ringer sound!

Old Western Electric phones are my secret vice. I’ll pick them up at estate sales, where they’re usually underpriced. There’s a serious collector scene, mostly comprised of quirky/Etsy/Deschanelese crowd, and old men, many of whom seek out rare, all-original examples, colors, variants, prototypes, Autovon dials, and so on.

A while back, I found an all-original WE 1500 – a ten-button touch tone phone from 1967 – in a thrift store. Paid two bucks for it, and sold it on eBay for $130 after a good cleaning and polishing, and documenting dates of all parts to certify it’s not a “frankenphone”.

At home, though, I’ve only got one of the old phones plugged in; a rotary Trimline in my bedroom. Rotary phones work perfectly on Time-Warner’s phone service.

You’d be fine. I can barely lift it now, much less weild it.

These days a little girl-scout could kick my ass.

I’m just going to glare at you for a while. I’ve got four or five 10-button phones, one of which is a lighted dial white Princess.

I also like the old real rotaries, but hit a snag when we upgraded the house to VOIP service. Sadly, the VOIP system does not understand rotary dialing, so I pulled more aging tech out of my bag of tricks and the house now has a Merlin Legend PBX that does understand rotary and can translate it to DTMF. Eventually, I plan to hook up my wood wall phone to the Merlin. :cool:

ETA: I’ve got a claymore as well. :smiley:

shuck tiktiktiktiktiktiktik
shuck tiktiktiktiktik
shuck tiktiktiktiktiktiktiktiktiktik
shuck tiktik
shuck tiktiktiktiktik
shuck tiktiktiktik

“awww man!”

click

:smiley:

Ahh, memories.

The phone company (ATT, various Bell companies) was still heavily regulated in the '60s. In exchange for a monoply to supply phone service, the companies had to provide the service that the regulators wanted. Touch-tone (dual-frequencie sent simaltaniously) service could only be added if it didn’t disrupt or interfer with the existing pulse/rotary system. A single residence could have both rotary and TT phones and they were both expected to make and complete calls.

The current TPC landline switching equipment still has to be compatible with the olde phones.

You might be able to find on the net one of those '70s or '80s round, battery-powered hand-held phone-tone generators made to use with pulse-tone phones. They had all the buttons, and the user would hold it next to the pulse-phone transmitter.

Our main phone is a black Bakelite rotary phone. It’s over 60 years old and works better than any of our crappy cordless phones ever did. I love hanging up on people with it. We’re prowling rummage sales and flea markets for more of them, maybe even one with Touch-Tone dialing.

That the ringer will wake me out of a dead sleep is a bonus.

Touch-Tone phone keypad combine 7 different frequentcies, 2 at a time, to indicate a particular number or symbol.

Sending 1209Hz and 697Hz indicates that the “1” digit is being sent.

Envío de 1336Hz y 697 Hz indica que se está enviando el dígito “2”.

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/telecom/signaling/dtmf.html

Our local phone company discontinued support for pulse dialing a couple months back. Made me sad, though it has no impact on my life. I expect someone makes an interface box of some sort if I really want to hook up an old-timey telephone. I’m more likely to cut my land line entirely, since the only use it ever gets these days is when my mother calls, and it’s not like she doesn’t have my cell number.