My Sister Thinks She's Schizophrenic...Now What?

So kind of you to say so, Kalhoun especially after that one, which kind of rambles all over the damn place.

::::: on preview – Hi, Welfy!! Erin the Willow Welf :slight_smile: Yeah, I do think so, I thnk it applies to bipolar and to major depression as well. ::::::::

The point I should have emphasized in there and didn’t: they don’t have two parallel care strategies, versions of the official “word”, sets of available medications, and institutions – one set for people who come to them seeking help, if any help is available, for actual bioneurological problems, if that’s what’s causing their horrible symptoms; and one set for people who are brought in for attempting suicide or acting aggressive in a weird unpredictable way or standing smack dab in the middle of 6th Avenue and having a loud obscenity-laced conversation with someone who isn’t there.

You see, there’s no place to take suicidal people who are suicidal but not displaying specific signs of neurochemistry disorders, other than to the psych ward. There’s no mechanism for dealing with a belligerent woman in the park who doesn’t exhibit definitive symptoms of neurotransmitter dysfunction but who wanders up to strangers and starts in on them about whether or not they know about the rats and if Mayor Bloomberg put them there in her neighborhood at the request of people like you who want to run her out so they can get her apartment – I mean, we could arrest her if she actually hits them, or run her in for disturbing the peace (but she’ll be released shortly), but the best way of getting her the hell out of the park is a police-instigated psych detention. Same with the dirty guy arguing in the middle of 6th Ave, even if it turns out he isn’t “hearing voices” and is just royally pissed at the security guard at the homeless men’s shelter and is ranting at him in absentia and doesn’t give a fuck if he gets hit by a car or upsets the folks trying to drive them.

The profession doesn’t make that differentiation. The psychiatrists and psych nurses don’t. The distinction is elided. Meaning if DoperChic’s sister goes there, she gets the undifferentiated General Purpose Psychiatric Treatment.
**Kalhoun**, I was a university student. In the year preceding that, and the first semester of it, I was often intensely lonely and miserable and felt so totally a misfit amongst people and had no clear sense of why, didn’t like the social and political world I lived in, and I wanted “things” – my life, my self, my social circumstances – to be different and was willing, especially during my low moments, to entertain the possibility that the problem was in me. I went on several occasions to various clinics and “talked to someone”, and in the fall of my freshman year there was told “Oh, what you’ve got is a chemical imbalance in the brain, they know what causes that now, and there’s a pill that you take to address it” and they gave me a prescription for Stelazine (a powerful neuroleptic of the phenothiazide class, akin to Thorazine but stronger) along with some sample pills which I took for a week but didn’t like how they made me feel. I quit taking them and told them they were not for me.

In late December of that year I had a sort of crisis and came out of it with a growing sense that I did understand something about myself, a way in which I was different, not wrong or sick but different, and I began trying to put it into words. By February or so, I was dwelling on it constantly; I’d wake up at 3 am and find some scratch paper and jot down some notes, and then I’d be excited when I woke up the next morning and they still seemed to make sense, to extend my sense that I was understanding things. Most importantly, it seemed an entirely new understanding, something I’d never read about, and I thought it explained a lot more than just me and my sense of alienation, so I wrote more and more, lots of it very impromptu in pen on the backs of xeroxed pages of some professor’s syllabus or whatever I could find; and I showed it to people, actively soliciting feedback, does this stuff ring true for you folks, does this seem important?

It often looked like this. I was, at times, doing things like sitting in a bathrobe smoking in my dorm room and tapping the ashes onto an array of regular Lincoln cents which I dubbed the “J C Pennies” and through which I was conjuring / channelling the legacy of Jesus Christ / the promised return of the messiah.

My “stuff” was about feminism and gender. Think of it as “heterosexual sissy comes out of closet, militant-style, opposes patriarchy, heralds radical feminists as his allies”. Some of the folks I tried to communicate with were “feminist representatives” (in my mind at any rate) such as Sandy Kills Pretty Enemy, a Native American running the Rape Crisis Center on campus; others included poetry instructor of a course on Individual Identity, a biology teacher teaching Human Sexuality, and some of the personnel at the Peer Counseling Center on campus. They found me disturbing. I was not making overt claims so much as hinting and having a lot of fun with it, but I’m sure I gave people reason to think that I thought I was the fulfullment of prophecy concerning the Second Coming and that the writings I was dispensing were of paramount important and that the world was gonna be polarized into those who read it and sided with me and those who read it and felt threatened by it and sided against me, etc. And I did at times believe that the entire fabric of reality was something that would bend and reshape around sufficiently important ideas…mine, for instance.

I was called aside and told that I really needed to talk to the doctors at the facility who needed to do a mental eval on me. I went (figuring “OK, I get a clean bill of health and then we’ve got that out of the way, aside from which this stuff oughta be relevant to them too, explain a lot of what they have to deal with as well”). I am asked to sign a consent form. I think “OK, makes sense, you go to dentist you sign an “I agree the doc is gonna do things to my teeth”; this is a shrink, their treatment is talk (! a lot I knew !), so I need to consent to talk with the shrink”. I sign.

They say come this way. They take me behind doors and lock them and they demand my shoestrings and belt so I won’t hang myself (I don’t comply), in response to my question they say I won’t actually see the doctor until Tuesday and this is Friday and I can’t leave until/unless the doctor says I can, and after awhile staff members physically tackle me and rip out my shoelaces and belt and have me tied face-down in six-way restraints and hauled into seclusion room and I get shot up with Thorazine 5-6 times until I’m too mind-fogged to continue arguing, yelling, singing 60s-era protest songs, etc and just lie there in a haze. I am officially withdrawn from university studenthood without my consent at this time.

And that’s how I became a mental patient. My initial dx was bipolar (actually manic-depressive back then); paranoid schiz with delusions of grandeur came later. I was not declared “well” or even “in remission” and allowed to leave at the end of the cycle, I took a door of the fucking hinges and escaped the place and hitched out of the state. (For sake of relative brevity I’m condensing a bit here)

Do a backsearch for other threads as I described above, I’ve talked about how I cope without meds and whether or not I think I actually do or do not have a mental illness and so forth, and the measures I take to create and maintain a very very reasonable perceived persona as an “out and open and untreated and escaped” schizophrenic.

Wow. That sucks. I’ll have to go back and read your threads. Unfortunately, these bastards I’m employed by actually want me to work for a living, so I’ll have to catch it later.

I’m glad you’ve found some peace in your life. The way they treated you should be illegal (and probably is!). I’m sure I’ll have more to comment on after I read your threads. Thanks!

DoperChic would probably like it if focus were return to the matter of his (/her?) sister.

I’ve spoken of user-run self-help alternatives and support groups. I know this very board has at least one. I don’t know as how I’d necessarly recommend that DoperChic join the SDMB solely to gain access to it, but it does highlight the efficacy of online, internet-based mutual support.

For the same reason that for many of us this board is the most wonderful place to go to share news, rant, ask for reality-check, or seek some understanding of what you’re going through, a similar online community of people currently or historically facing devastating cognitive and emotional conditions and trying to sort out how best to cope with it can be like nothing else in this world. There are days when you don’t feel you can face showering and going out and dealing with the world and still you can go to the web site where your friends post. (Or read email, lots of mutual-support groups do their things with a LISTSERV moderated email digest or mailing list.)

:smack:

Uh, I mean I don’t know if I’d necessarily recomment that DoperChic’s sister join the SDMB.

I am coherent, I am coherent, I am!

Wow. So much has happened here since I last posted. I guess I go in order to respond.

lorene, thanks for the clarification. I thought that was what the site was getting at, but wasn’t sure. I had no idea how difficult diagnosing mental illness can be. It’s nowhere near as simple as I thought it would be.

ultrafilter, thank you so much for the kind words and info.

phall0106, money is a huge issue for our family. Anything that could reduce the burden of paying for all this would be a great help. I’ll be sure to check out the link you posted.

Thank you AHunter3 for posting as much as you did here. You may refer to it as rambling but I see it as very informative and helpful. I have heard of the negative side affects of psych meds. In fact, my friend is currently involved in a class action lawsuit against Paxil because it was so addictive. Somehow, I never made the connection in the case with my sister. We were told to go to a therapist and see a phychiatrist who may prescribe meds. My first -albeit naieve- thought was ‘Yay! Meds will surely fix her!’ As scared and confused and I was, a quick fix seemed pretty good just then. Now I know to question and possibly refuse medication if I think it’s in her best interest. For right now, my biggest goal is just to get her into talk therapy. A secretary called me tonight to schedule an appointment, in fact. So hopefully we should have one scheduled by sometime tomorrow. I checked out the link you sent and found it to be very informative and an interesting read. I’ll read it more thoroughly when I have more free time.

Welfy, so sorry to hear of your loss. Your situation is similar to that of my sis. She lost her dad at a young age and hasn’t been the same since. His illness was a severe addiction to alcohol and other drugs. ::hugs:: to Welfy.

Kalhoun, damn those bastards for making you work. How dare they. :slight_smile:

AHunter3, I tend to view the SDMB as my own personal haven from the rest of the world, so I don’t plan on suggesting that my sis join. I will definitely mention the idea of online support groups, though. Hopefully she’ll find some help through them.

Oh and I thought I made it pretty clear by my username, but for those that aren’t sure, I’m female. :slight_smile:

I would neither reject nor embrace meds until she sees the psychiatrist and a full assessment is done and you see what is offered.

While meds are not side effect free sometimes the side effects are better than the disorder. Informed consent is your friend.

Ahunter3’s suggestion of an email list is a good one. I’m on a few and they help me maintain perspective on what I’m dealing with. It can be very difficult being the caregiver/advocate for people with mental illness. I know making medication decisions for my 11 yo can feel like an ethical minefield despite the fact that he is an active part of the decision making process.

I don’t think quick fixes exist unfortunately ;). Wish they did then i would have avoided the last month of pure hell we’re all just lived through.

Primaflora

Yeah, what she said. I come down harsh on psych meds because

a) I hate them personally and have seen so many lives ruined by psych drugs; and

b ) I feel like I have to counterbalance the sunshine-and-posies version touted by the pharma companies and many of the shrinks and NAMI with their “all mental patients need their meds” / “it fixes your chemical imbalance” stuff
…but as long as you read up and know what you’re getting into, and then find that they do you more good than harm, well, they’re useful tools for some people.