[QUOTE=Jonathan Chance]
You utterly and completely can do this. I know, I did it. I’m not great and don’t have much time for it anymore. But I did it.
It’s trite, I know, but you get out of it what you put into it. Practice and you’ll be astonished at how quickly you advance. Don’t and, while you’ll likely still gain ground, it’ll be slower.
The biggest problem I found, as others have told, is that adults have more demands on their time than teens do. For me with business and kids and house and such finding time to practice/play was the biggest challenge.
Good luck! And enjoy!
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Argent Towers]
Unplug your TV cable and you’ll be surprised at how much free time you actually have.
[/QUOTE]
Just a quick note - all the other posters are doing fine. I agree with Jonathan Chance you absolutely can do this!
As a long-time, semi-pro player, I will say these things are by far the most important things to focus on:
-
Make sure your guitar is set up correctly - if it is not, it won’t sound good AND will be harder to play - and those are factors are incredibly de-motivating. Take it some place - or have a friend who REALLY knows guitars look at it - and have them check the: a) neck relief - does it have a bow in it that is problematic?; b) the action - are the strings the right distance from the neck; and c) the intonation - does it play in tune up and down the neck for most of the chords you will be practicing? Have each set-up element checked - in that order - and you will be much better off.
-
**Maximize what YOU think is cool ** - whatever it takes to make you want to play - if you have always dreamed of playing a red guitar, then play a freakin’ red guitar! Don’t listen to anyone else - the fewer compromises on the guitar you pick and the more you will want to play it. And the fewer compromises on playing what YOU want to play is key, too - because THAT is the only thing that matters - wanting to play. If all you want to do is play cool metal riffs - then play cool metal riffs. If you want to strum Ani DeFranco or fingerpick Celtic folk - do that!
-
**Practice a bit, but play a lot more ** - When I was starting out, if I had 30 minutes, I would spend 15 minutes on chords and scales and 15 minutes playing Smoke on the Water on 1 string, imagining I was in front of 10,000 people. All my friends who just worked on scales? None of them play anymore - it wasn’t fun for them. Keeping it fun is the ONLY thing that will keep you with it…
My $.02 - best of luck!!