Just Some Guy, the Mythbusters weren’t trying to burn wet wood, either, and the way they were doing it was wrong, as I’ve pointed out before. And, as I’ve pointed out, it should be possible to set fire to parts of a moving fleet. What are you missing?
Did anybody see the “Crimes and Mythdemeanors” epsiode last night? They actually managed to fool a fingerprint scanner, an infrared motion detector, and a sonar motion detector. Seriously cool 
[QUOTE=CalMeacham]
Just Some Guy, the Mythbusters weren’t trying to burn wet wood, either, and the way they were doing it was wrong, as I’ve pointed out before. And, as I’ve pointed out, it should be possible to set fire to parts of a moving fleet. What are you missing?
[/QUOTE]
The question I’m having is… how do you get them all to aim at the same sail? I mean, sure, it’s great if you can get all of the guys to aim at the same sail on the same ship, but wouldn’t they tend to aim at whatever looked like a good target to them, leading to a less concentrated beam?
[QUOTE=butler1850]
It seems to me that it needs to reach a critical level, then WHOOSH!!! goes the rest of the reaction. Since they were in 1/50 scale, it took a fair amount of the blimp being consumed to reach that level of heat. On the full size airship, a much smaller percentage would have been burning (and perhaps internally, and not visible in the historical footage) then WHOOSH!!! goes the Hindy.
[/QUOTE]
As I recall, Bain suggested the same thing. Relying on my Good Memory for Useless Numbers, he estimated about 45 seconds between ignition and WHOOSH!