Name some actors who have starred in 3 successful TV series

And what about that one with him and Judd Hirsch? That was on for a season as well. And I’d consider the first two as different characters, gimmick ending notwithstanding,

Richard Boone:

Medic
Have Gun-Will Travel
The Richard Boone Show
Hec Ramsey

Julie Kavner:

Rhoda
The Tracey Ullman Show
The Simpsons

And yep, TheNerd

David Hasselhoff:

The Young and the Restless
Knight Rider
Baywatch

In addition to his unusual career as a German rock star, Hasselhoff has worked almost continuously since 1975. Just goes to show that talent is not necessarily the primary ingredient of success.

The 80 episode/3 season requirement is a killer. But I played this as a parlor game without that reuqirement, and here’s who we found were the featured actors with the most series credits:

Harry Morgan (he’s already been mentioned)
Shelly Fabares
Elinor Donahue

Granted, Elinor Donahue has mostly done recurring characters rather than featured roles, but Shelly Fabares (Donna Reed Show, One Day at a Time, Brian Keith Show and Coach) surely qualifies.

And let’s not forget James Garner!

A notable “almost” is John Astin, who did The Addams Family, McMillan & Wife, and Operation Petticoat. Not to mention a few appearances as The Riddler on the Batman series after Frank Gorshin wouldn’t do it anymore.

Just to point out a technicality, I think Shatner might be disqualified for his role in Star Trek. Weren’t there only 79 episodes?

Somebody earlier said it was 68, but you’re right. It was 79. On the other hand, he also played Captain Kirk on the Animated Series. can that count as an extension of the original one, pushing them over the 80 ep minimum? :slight_smile:

And he also starred in an episode or two of The Twilight Zone (hey, you didn’t say it had to be a recurring role!)

And Julie Kavner had a recurring role on (shudder) Herman’s Head, one of Fox’s early ill-concieved sitcoms.

Ak! I meant Yeardley Smith!

The only one I could come up with was Ted McGinley - Marcy’s husband “Jefferson D’arcy” on Married With Children (that made her married name “Marcy D’arcy”!), “Ace” the photographer on The Love Boat, and Roger Phillips on Happy Days.

Given the long runs of each of those shows, I’d have to count them successful, good taste or not!

I wanted to tout my hero, Bruce Campbell, but the character he played on Hercules is the same character he played on Xena, and his other shows (Jack of All Trades and Brisco County, Jr.) didn’t last long enough.

Pete
Long time RGMWer and ardent AOLer

The Andy Griffith Show
The Courtship of Eddie’s Father
Happy Days

And I happened to like Herman’s head. Then again, I liked The Legend of Billie Jean, so what do I know?

**sub
        [/sub]O
        º
      sub)[/sub]
        +
        A
        " **

Tony Danza? I can’t think of the third show but I thought he had one… I know of Taxi and Who’s the Boss

Er, SORRY sweetcheeks, but “Opie” (Ron Howard) wasn’t on “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father.” That was Brandon Cruz.

I think Danza currently plays a lawyer on Family Law.

And Alzarian, I think we can credit Bob Newhart for 2 series. Newhart was a different show from the Bob Newhart Show, regardless of how they ended the series’ run (which was a great joke, BTW).

Michael Landon

“Bonanza”
“Little House on the Prairie”
“Highway to Heaven”

Oh, piss ant, I just read the OP. Sorry for the repeat.

Ron Howard wasn’t in “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father.”

How about Robert Urich? More shows overall than anyone else, with at least three hits: “Vega$,” “Spenser: For Hire,” and “Soap” (though only in one season of that). “S.W.A.T.” was a big smash, but didn’t have a long run.

When you start dealing with voice actors, the list grows quite quickly:

Lorenzo Music: “Rhoda” (live, though you never saw him), “Darkwing Duck,” “Garfield and Friends,” “Tale Spin”
June Foray: “Rocky & Bullwinkle” “The Incredible Hulk” (live), “Heathcliff,” various Bugs Bunney compilation shows.
Don Messick: “The Duck Factory” (live), “Scooby-Doo,” “Tiny Toons,” “Jonny Quest”
Frank Welker: “Garfield and Friends,” “The Real Ghostbusters,” “Muppet Babies,” “Heathcliffe,” “Scooby Doo,” and many others.
Tresse MacNeille: “Simpsons,” “Tiny Toons,” “Animaniacs,” “Freakazoid,” “Rugrats,” “Smurfs,” and many others.

Rene Auberjonois: “Benson,” “Star Trek DSN,” “Smurfs.”
Bea Benaderet: “George Burns & Gracie Allen Show,” “The Flintstones,” “Beverly Hillbillies” (recurring role), “Petticoat Junction.” She also did voice work in a string of Bugs Bunny shows.
Dann Florek: “L.A. Law,” “Law and Order” and “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.” The latter hasn’t reached 80 yet, but probably will eventually. However, he didn’t appear in 80 shows of any of these.

Mike Farrell
Days of Our Lives
MASH*
Providence (although it’s current and not yet at 3 years or 80 episodes, it certainly looks like it’s headed that way)

Pernell Roberts
Bonanza
Trapper John M.D.
FBI: The Untold Stories

Charles Siebert
Search for Tomorrow
One Day at a Time
Trapper John M.D.

Howard Hessman
WKRP in Cincinnati
One Day at a Time
Head of the Class