Name some "American Hugh Lauries," please...

I think the OP adequately addressed his misconception in post No. 30.

A couple of Canadian examples. I would omit all those Canadians that many Americans would assume are from the states.

Dashan(Mark Roswell) - Huge in China. Most famous caucasian performer in China, only know about him because he was a feel good hometown boy made good story during the Beijing Olympics

Annihilator(Thrash metal band) - barely known in Canada (just hard core metal heads know them) but quite popular in Europe. Lots of their albums are released in Europe only and they spend 3-4 months every year touring there. (Jeff Waters was the dad of one of the members of my Scout troop, otherwise I probably wouldn’t know about them)

Considering I can’t name a single one, I assume American soccer players playing in the European pro leagues are bigger over there than they are here.

I watch the BBA America version of Top Gear, and one of their “star in reasonable priced car” guests this last season was an American Blues musician with a Southern accent, called “Seasick Steve,” whom I had never heard of.

This certainly could be someone who I should have heard of but hadn’t, though.
ETA: Well crap. That’s what I get for leaving a window open too long without refreshing it.