NASA launches Comet Buster Probe. Anyone worried?

LOL! The “war” against drugs is a joke!

You mean you didn’t start this entrire thread with the sole purpose of using that word?

[ED]
You know, I’ve always liked that word…“gargantuan”… so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.
[/ED]

This was my first thought.

Although I can appreciate the scientific desire to find out more about what’s out there and how the universe began, etc. It makes me uneasy that we’ll be using such brute force to find out instead of waiting until more sophisticated technology is developed. There’s just too much we don’t know to accurately predict what will happen when this thing smashes into the comet. I think that’s a very poor position to be in.

Imagine a mountain cruising through space. Now throw a car engine at it.

I think we’re safe.

To be less flippant, this thing lives between Mars and Jupiter and was actually lost for awhile after it was first discovered. The cause? Jupiter’s gravitational tug moved it enough that it wasn’t in its predicted location when they went to look for it.

I’ve gotta admit, these cosmotologists have one heck of a lot more going on than I ever gave 'em credit for.

The Saturnians and the Titanians will have the Comet People’s back after the Cassini-Huygens mission collapses the rings of Saturn (ruining their tourist-based economy, not to mention unbelievable long-tern meteor damage) and the probe lands on some mall on Titan.

Easy. We form an alliance with our former enemies, the Gamelons.
</joke that maybe three people anywhere on the Earth will get>

Deslok! Deslok! Deslok!
(Happy? Someone knows what you’re talking about. :smiley: )

We were at war with an Indonesian orchestra? :smiley:

Your ignorance makes me ill and angry*. How is the cause of science, the broadening of the scope of human knowledge, the greater and deeper undertstanding of the universe, supposed to move forward while fools like yourself whine that we ‘tamper with things man was not meant to know’ or ‘play god’ or ‘misuse government funds’?

It’s morons like you that make it all but impossible to get grants for the all the light emitting diodes, vacuum tubes, and human brains that I need for my research. Somebody link to the Onion article about mad scientist affected by budget cutbacks. I’m too pissed to find it myself.

• Let’s see if anybody picks up on that reference.

We will also never get the more sophisticated technology if we don’t do stuff now, find out stuff now.

And there are lots of comets to blow up.

No, the comet-people already have Desslok, we need Trelaina.

(Some one else does, too :wink: )

Worried, hell no! I’m excited! I saw LIFEFORCE!!!
Nekkid female space-vampires! Yeeehaw!

Seriously, I do think this is damn cool.

Calm down Doc, I’ve re-directed my attention to pumping vast sums of money into the space program to further our species throughout the galexy. So this type of research is good. :slight_smile:

It’s good to know some people still remember the classics.

Shoemaker-Levy was broke up by just the gravity of Jupiter.

I have no doubts they can smash the comet.

I, for one, welcome our new Comet People masters.

God forbid we try to learn anything about that.

[/sarcasm]

Get some doubts. Jupiter’s gravity well is far more powerful in this regard than anything we could throw at a comet no matter how much lead time we had to prepare. This is gonna be like shooting a BB into a sand trap on a golf course.