NASA's Mars Rover Curiosity

According to a news story I heard on NPR, we should know sometime shortly after 2am Eastern Standard Time.

What is that, around 9 or 10 in the morning your time?

I can’t wait till morning to hear about it.

3 hours and 30 minutes to go!

I am in Philadelphia with my family. I suppose I will find out about the landing when I get up in the morning.

I’ll be DVRing it. Personally, I think the landing method is too cute by half. The cable part scares me- suppose the cable cutting goes awry? I can imagine one stubborn cable mucking things up- hopefully they’re sized so that it will snap under the weight of the rover and allow the engines to fly away and crash at a safe distance.

I don’t know if this has been posted, but here’s a “live” shot of the landing. It’s kinda neat. I guess I’m not going to bed tonight.
Mars Science Laboratory - Curiosity Rover | NASA Click on Eyes on the Solar System and Launch/Install whatever it asks you to do.

Why is it that we lose radio contact when something is entering an atmosphere?

It’s currently traveling at over 8500 MPH.

Hey, that is kinda neat. :slight_smile:

ETA: Almost 8600 MPH now.

What is quite interesting is that there is a curious idea on how to get around that limitation:

What broadcast station will be covering it? I assume CNN, but with the other stories in the news it might not get the coverage it deserves. Is there another channel that will reliably cover it? Discovery?

2 hours and 29 minutes to go…

Don’t forget the super-fancy penny plastered on the side.

I know there have been some events where the solar panels of our previous rovers have been given some kind of Martian squeegee treatment, but it seems to me that a penny–even a fancy antique penny–is kind of an insultingly small tip.

Besides, Curiosity is nuclear powered, so it presumably won’t even need the services of the Martian squeegee (little green) men in any event.

Live JPL feed here

will.i.am is on NASA TV right now.

Yeah. Bored. Tuning back in at the top of the hour.

Should be during the noontime hour here.

Cracked.com is running a fun article right now: 5 Reasons You Should Be Excited About Mars Today.

Live on line here (hopefully)

Is he moonwalking?

Check out this little link; it shows the landing via computer simulation. Enable the Java feature. Click on live mode, and use the cursor (attitude) and mouse scroll wheel (zoom +/-) to adjust the view.

I’ve got it tucked in the corner of my screen, as of now ~1:30:00 or so before touchdown.

I’m really glad NBC is not in on this.