National Review smears Kerry: KGB Dupe!

“STP” You talking about that ancient poison, alleged to be llike Blue Cheer but of three-four days? The one that downers couldn’t fix, 'cause it made it worse?

My good buddy Jim took some in the Haight, 1968. Couldn’t get down enough to make tea or do his tai chi. Went to the Free Clinic, they gave him thorazine. He got weirder, they have him more thorazine. You know the drill.

Came to six months later, in a CA insane asylum, wearing a terrycloth robe and remembering nada. One of the sweetest human beings I’ve ever known.

That “STP”?

Damn, man,…you old!

Shit! I haven’t heard about STP in thirty years. Yeah, man, you be REAL old.

Ah, hallucinogens! The synthetics could make you crazy but the natural ones made you puke. But it was really pretty puke.

(this hijack brought to you by a bunch of old farts who say, “The National Review is full of shit? Been that way forever, sonny. Ain’t news to us.”)

All on its lonesome, this one part seems to display The National Review’s dearth of journalistic ethics. In writing the editorial, the spy chief is saying, at best, that Sen. Kerry was spun by the KGB’s influence in the free world press. Is this kind of control of the media even theoretically feasible? Could someone from the KGB really plant an influential story in a major free world news source?

This has pretty much been my experience with NR, too (I subscribe) – most of their articles are really good, but every now and then some really wacked-out shit finds its way in there. On balance, it’s a good rag – it isn’t a tinfoil hat publication by any stretch – but it is prone to wandering afield every now and then.