national treasure?

LOL…but you know that I meant the plot holes and inconsistencies in that particular book, right?

For large values of two, yes. :wink:

“Pouring”? What were they pouring?

Maple syrup.

When two plus two equal five, all speellings are possibal.

I have the ability to shut off my brain and enjoy mindless action movies, especially ones with a good cast. I’ll give this one a try.

I’m predicting that the “treasure” will wind up being something other than gold or gems. Its going to be a symbol of “freedom” or “liberty” or something like that. I’m sure you can picture the irony. No spoiler box because I have no actual information, just my own speculation.

Like in the old song “One Tin Soldier,” where the valley people kill the mountain people for the treasure that’s buried at the top of the mountain, and when they get to it it’s just a rock that says “peace on earth.”

In which case, this movie will be even more derivative. :wink:

Jerry Bruckheimer’s doing it. It’s going to suck.

Please, please, please people. Don’t give him any more money. Please.

Please.

If you don’t give him money, eventually he’ll go away.

Please.

Simply because when it comes to Bruckheimer movies, I calibrate my expectations, then lower that figure by about 3000%, I can see your hypothesis playing out Loach - which of course Misnomer accurately derives from One Tin Soldier - pure '70’s bad-idealistic pap if there every was.

However, we have the conflicting business interests of Mr. B here. If he took the approach described above, wouldn’t that just piss off the international markets, who typically represent a huge portion of his revenues? I mean, with movies like that submarine movie - U-571 or something? - where the actual heroic actions of UK soldiers were re-cast to be done by Americans - well, I guess they thought they were only gonna piss off the Brits, so it would be isolated. But foisting that kind of patriotic twaddle on a set of international markets already pissed at the US because of Iraq, etc.? Seems like a bad move…

I get to see movies for free so I’m still going to see it.

He also did Pirates of the Carribean and some movies that didn’t suck. If it were a Micheal Bay directed movie, I’d be worried, but this movie might be entertaining.

I’m vaguely recalling an episode of “Scooby-Doo” which pulled the same trick. I think the treasure chest turned out to be filled with corn?

I remember the one when the treasure turned out to be Confederate Dollars. We can only hope. Maybe it will be an IOU from George Washington.

Have you read lovecraft before?

If the movie actually does have something important in Antarctica, my guess is that it will turn out to have been left by one of the early explorers, like Admiral Byrd. Usually movies or books that involve conspiracies that stretch over decades or centuries tend to involve everyone of significance during that time.

Lemon juice, actually.

But seriously, I saw it last night, and wasn’t expecting much. Much to my surprise, [spoiler]it was surprisingly smart – I’d say 45% or more of the “history” was accurate, shock! Nic Cage seemed to be playing his character as “Donald Kaufman playing Indiana Jones,” and prompts Diane Kruger’s character at one point to say something like, “Okay, you know no one talks like that in real life, right?”

Lovely woman, that Diane Kruger. Much lovelier when the plot of the movie doesn’t require her to be so, IMHO. The script also allowed her character to be intelligent (she’s supposed to be an archivist at the Library of Congress, IIRC) and have her own agenda, which she chooses to pursue several times over that of Team Good Guys.

Aside from some laughable climate issues at the beginning (while they’re “above the Arctic Circle,” Cage’s character pulls out an unfrozen plastic bottle of water and uses it to melt snow), the science and computer stuff is pretty accurate, as far as I can tell. Google is employed more than once by both sides, which I loved.

None of the mystery/code plotline is very unrealistic – save for a little deus ex machina at the end in the form of a previously-unknown Freemason in a position of power – and no, the Founding Fathers didn’t hide anything in the Arctic Circle.[/spoiler]

It was a definite Indiana Jones ripoff, of course, but it was definitely a fun one, and a lot smarter than I expected it to be.

Good fun movie if you don’t think too hard.

I Googled the same word from the movie and got very different results, BTW.

When in the movie was this? I saw Yahoo being used twice, but no Google.

I was thinking of the scene where Sean Bean and his crew of miscreants look up “declaration independence stow,” but that might have been Yahoo. I wasn’t paying attention to the title bar of the search engine, I was just excited that one was being used so simply, and, you know, like normal people use them. :slight_smile:

You may be thinking of an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard where some out-of-towners were searching for a lost Union Army payroll. Boss Hogg is eventually paid off with the promise that he can keep the cash if the cutie-pie historian can keep the documents. It turns out the cash is Confederate and of value only to a collector (though Hogg is so tearfully disappointed, this apparantly doesn’t occur to him). Why was a Union regiment being paid in Confederate money? Well, that’s just regular mixed-up life in Hazzard County.

Wasn’t that the episode with the car chase?