Native American nudity

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate?

Well, BMalion it really helps very little with the intended direction of this thread to elaborate on your Q. But if you are asking in what I refer to, a little more info is available from Captain Amazings’ post directly under the OP.

As for explaining myself I don’t see the point as the object of this thread is to obtain as much info. on Indian nudity in it’s various forms with greater interest to it in art and portrayal of females in various mediums.

See? Not just your average internet booty-call:). I have a great desire to understand Native Americans of today and before. And the various attitudes they incline towards nudity. I think to discover this will bring a more complete image of these people into view.

I don’t know of a woman alive that doesn’t appreciate feeling beautiful/attractive at one time or another. That part of being human in itself is enough to contradict the statements that women show beauty through regalia. Possibly, but not exclusively. I find it damn near impossible for this to be true. There is nothing wrong with the nude body, I would think if any people realize this it’s the American Indians.

Btw, if I’m not totally PC with titles and such, it’s not intended to offend I just don’t believe in labels, when my aims are to further educate myself and anyone else willing to follow this thread.

Hey, AveDementia I search all around but I can’t seem to nail down this picture you describe, or maybe I suck at Googling :/…

I don’t mean to sound offensive, and I understand your quest for naked native ladies in art, but your statements about “noble savages” just sounds condescending.

Please note that he put it in quotation, which usually indicates that the user knows there is something suspect about the term, but feels it is the best way to express themselves, while not necessarily agreeing with the term itself.

It’s the entire sentence I was referring to, and I’m well aware that the quote marks were there, that’s why I asked my question. Thanks.

Thanks for trying Scott Plaid, but I always seem to get myself into trouble for stuff that isn’t even important to the thread, but perhaps it’s the very same lack of interest in something I perceive as “little” that makes me sloppy in regards to addressing it.

Tell you what BMalion, for your incredible tenacity in the matter of an expression I did not even coin myself, but referred to through quotations from Captain Amazings’ post. I will grant you a very brief explanation and perhaps you will then help with my intended direction and not stray it farther out into the "corn field ".

“Noble savage” is not even my expression, in fact from it’s context in Captain Amazings’ post I doubt it’s his expression either! As for the rest of the sentence it’s only saying that many indians still do live off the land and whatever way they can really with the limited education they posses. Tell me I’m wrong and I’ll tell you about the woman in New Mexico that “pimped” her 7 year old daughter to the tourists with a sign behind her that read: “Take a picture with the little indian girl $1.00”.

Now, let’s say we get back to my topic, k?

Ok, sorry to stray from the search for the Naked Native American in art. :slight_smile:

It’s not my expression. The “noble savage” idea is that Native Americans have some sort of superior wisdom, morality, and understanding of the world, and that traditional Native American cultures were, without exception, peaceful, enlightened, and living in harmony with nature.

This sort of romanticization of American Indian culture gets in the way of a real understanding of Native American society and culture, and what’s more, it’s patronizing.

Found it. It’s called “Lookout” (sometimes it’s listed as “The Lookout”) by William R. Leigh. I don’t know why that didn’t come up on Google.

Here is a decent copy of the painting online. It’s not quite safe for work if your work would object to topless Indians.

Some others I’ve found in my search:

“Harvest Season” by Oscar Edmund Berninghaus
“An Indian girl” by C.M. (or Charles) Russell
“Indian Maiden braiding her hair” by C. M. Russell

They can be found here. Just scroll down the list of titles on the page.

I’m glad I could finally be somewhat useful to this discussion. :slight_smile:

In a similar vein, anyone know of any Genuine Topless Hawaiian Hula Girl Cheesecake?

I’ll be honest, my motives are much more prurient.

The Native Americans here in VA (Chickahominy, Pamunkey, Mattaponi, Monacan, and a few others tribes) were among the first to become westernized (IIRC, there was a treaty between one of these tribes and the English in the 1600s and the tribe has been had the reservation ever since). Almost all vestiges of their original art have long since disappeared. Many of the Native Americans in these tribes are pretty devout Baptists and nudity isn’t portrayed.

You can thank Jean Jacques Rousseau. In this century, though, it’s considered as racist as “Dirty savage,” and with good reason. It’s kind of like assuming the asian kid is a math genius.