NATO and Turkey

Anyone want to bet on whether the US goes ahead and sends Patriot batteries to Turkey? Put me down for “yes, and soon.”

I guess this is the second way to get a war with Iraq. Just make enough noise about Turkey and hope Saddam bites. He won’t though, he’s playing the diplomatic card for all it’s worth.

I wanted to post, but elucidator has expressed it far better than I could. Up to today, I was ashamed of the pro-War Western countries who believe they should operate without U.N. backing. Today I am also ashamed that other Western nations can veto the provision of defensive measures for another NATO country, for political point scoring.

I agree that refusing defensive aid is mainly political.
But asking for the aid was political in the first place, a ploy to get them involved.
Turkey is hardly in danger of attack. Furthermore it is poised to strike at the Kurds and has already ‘invaded’ Iraq (establishing a ‘buffer zone’ of some 30 kilometers.)

Very concerned over an interview that I heard this morning on the radio; Congressman Peter King made a series of comments about Germany and France which, apart from being demonstrably factually inaccurate, rapidly spiralled down to petty name-calling (including words to the effect “if the French wish to be involved in the conflict, their input will have to be limited to advise the Iraquis on how to surrender”) - what kind of thinking is going on there?

Simple:
Those who are not with us are against us.
They are against us.
We are Good, they must be Bad.
Let’s find some examples that they are indeed bad.
Stick found.
Lets’ whack 'm with it.

Btw, your username sounds suspisciously french Mange
You wouldn’t happen to be one of those peacenik, commie, liberal, pink, frenchy, long-haired … ah… shucks… a …a non-republican would you?

I will admit to a deep love of cheese and no more…

Oh OK; I’m not French, I’m English.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Turkey’s strong desire to join the EU, and the efforts of the EU (dominated by whom, again?) to keep Turkey out.

Actually this suggests France and German are rather keen to see Turkey join the EU.

Just to throw something out there…France has invested a whole lotta money in Iraqi oil. Don’t think they want to see it go to pot. (heh…dope, pot). No time to cite source but I’m sure one can be found :wink:

Did anyone else notice Turkey’s sudden change of heart about the invasion right after they got told they could occupy northern Iraq (and those luscious oil fields) afterward? Is this an example of leadership or simply bribery?

I’ll think you’ll find that it’s Russia who have invested in Iraqi oil recently. France was a major player in the oil industry in Iraq until the Gulf War and international sanctions.

Fox – thanks for the correction. I hope it proves true. I still think the EU membership/NATO veto is an unexplored avenue either of diplomacy or of analysis.

MC – Russia’s investment in Iraq may be larger, but France’s investment is huge, growing, and dependent on Iraqi goodwill.

Iraq threatens Elf Aquitaine

Whatever interest the US may have in Iraqi oil, the French and Russian interest is at least as great – and the French and Russian interests depend on Saddam.

I’ve got a feeling that information may be out of date as Saddam withdrew a contract with TotalFinaElf for oil concessions after French support for sanctions.

Turkey could refuse to attack Irak, and still ask for help to the Nato in case things go to hell anyway. That was their option, they chosed to be the agressor.
Changing the subject a bit, Who could have guessed 2 years ago that we would be having a diplomatic “hot war” between Europe and America?

No Anti-War for Oil!

Heh…sorry

I don’t remember seeing an article declaring Turkey eager to launch an attack. As the only Islamic country in NATO, the USA are keen to ensure it is protected. After all, Turkey is being prepared as the bridge for EU (US) Foreign Policy in the Middle East.