Navy SEAL training--do they really drown them?

This was one of the skills I learned for life saving merit badge when I was a Boy Scout

Yeah, but it still says ‘IN air, ON land and sea.’

So actually, not fighting in the water…but walking on it.

I was in class 225

I suspect that the training in terms of swimming and diving for Navy/Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers and Air Force Pararescue Jumpers matches that of SEAL teams, not so much for killing people/breaking things.

I’m not sure what the rescue swimmers do, but they most likely use free style stokes a whole lot more. In BUD/s you use what is call a combat side stroke, which is just a side stroke that allows you to stay low pro.

And your Graduation Day was the last day of indoc for class…?

The answer to the thread:

Fast forward to 4:45.

for class 229

I believe it was 228, but close enough.

I think you are right, now that I look back.

I know this is a zombie, but this link made me chuckle:

In England, we call this a “beach holiday”.

Just out of curiosity, you may not know but was your friend’s daughter’s boyfriend named Kyle?

Having read multiple biographies of seals, one test they do is an underwater swim where the distance is so long that many seals pass out underwater and need to be revived. But that is the goal, to see how far the soldiers will take things even if it means passing out underwater. That could be what is being referenced.

We had to choose names for our teams in the Golf league I was in last year. We were “The Seals.” We told people it was because some of us were kind of blubbery, but really the name was chosen so that after the summer when the league ended we could tell everybody that we “used to be Seals.”

No drown proofing was required, but I might have gotten my foot wet retrieving a ball from a water hazard once or twice.

we figured real Navy Seals wouldn’t mind (and might wish to join once they saw how much beer we drank,). It was meant in good fun and as a way that we could poke fun at all the stolen valor types.

Oh… what they used to make you do for the “Lifesaving” merit badge? I figure it has to be much more serious than that in SEAL training.