Nazi on ballot for Montana state legislature as a Republican

How so? People get jobs from business, not from government. The only way to escape poverty is through work. It would seem that the best way to help the poor, then, is to help business expand and provide jobs for the poor. The poor certainly aren’t helped out of poverty by welfare.

It always amazes me that liberals fail to see that businesses are the ones that provide the jobs that move people out of poverty.

Most blacks are poor, huh? Don’t think so. Less than a quarter of black people are below the poverty level.

Both, Renob. (I’m a public librarian myself.)

If true, that does not contradict my point: When government does whatever the business interests want and prioritizes their needs over all other (which it generally does, these past 25 years at least), that is bad for minorites and bad for the poor. If you want to dispute that . . . we’ll have to start another thread.

I might have to research that. “Most” might no longer be true but “less than a quarter” sounds way low. Cite?

And I hope you’re not basing that on the official HHS Poverty Guidelines, which currently define “poverty” as an income at or below $18,400 for a family of four. That’s nowhere close to realistic. I make more than three times that and I live (alone and by no means extravagantly, in a small town with a relatively low cost of living) from paycheck to paycheck. (In fact, I might have to start moonlighting soon just to make ends meet.)

Found a cite: The poverty rate among African-Americans (going by the official poverty line, which I dispute in this thread) is 24.7% as of 2004. That’s an improvement over the past (down from 26.5% in 1998), but the same article notes the median income of African-Americans is still 65% that of whites, and there remains a difference of 5.2 years in life expectancy.

Government jobs are only recycling money that was made by private companies. Government jobs are funded by taxes on productive businesses. Without these businesses, there would be no government jobs.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The plight of minorities and the poor has improved quite a lot over the past 25 years. When business is succesful, more people have jobs and fewer people are in poverty.

However, as you say, another thread would be in order to explore this more thoroughly.

So? Without government, there would be no private-sector jobs, not beyond the most primitive economic level. That’s what we see whenever government fails to be effective.

As I recently noted in this thread on Sweden:

In the above dialogue I am not, of course, flatly contradicting Charlie Tan, merely pointing out that he needs to look at the whole picture. There may well be situations where government revenue/spending accounts for more of a country’s GDP than is good for the country. Or less. But it’s not an either/or thing. Except in very rare circumstances, government is not simply a useless parasitic growth on the economy, like mistletoe on a tree.

I’ve started at least a dozen GD threads this week. You do this one.

So your position would be that racists and minorities are both deluded in perceiving the Republican Party as the party of racism. Is that what I am hearing?

I dunno- why do all of Lyndon LaRouche’s nutball followers run as Democrats?

Moore is a hate monger? whew . He points out the evils of capitalism as it morphs into a dangerous idealogical machine that threatens the world. War for all money, for the chosen few. No loyalty to any country, just money and power. Governments lie and must be keld accoutable. Sorry The truth is out there.

MY WAG, it’s because LaRouche started as a Trotskyist Commie. In the '60s he even used the pen-name [from Lenin and Marx. Some Trots migrated to the flip side and became NeoCons – we’ve covered that many times in this forum – but LaRouche kept on drifting around the left side for a while – in the '70s he started organizations called National Caucus of Labor Committees and the U.S. Labor Party. I guess the Dem label seemed to fit better, even though he’s always been highly critical of mainstream Dems. Maybe he hoped to take over the party from the inside. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entryism]“Entryism”](]“Lyn Marcus”[/url) is a venerable Trotskyist tactic (which has never actually worked, AFAIK.)

From Stuart’s POV – white-supremacists I’ve read seem to be just as critical of the Pubs; but at least the Pubs are the party dedicated to limiting immigration.

But that’s the point, you see. Moore hates all that stuff. Gosh-darn hate monger!

No. They know that the Dems are the party of preferential handouts.

That was a whoosh, right? Please tell me that was a whoosh.

Racists often seem to be under the illusion (or, at least speak as if they believed) that welfare is all about feeding lazy blacks at the expense of hardworking whites, in (perhaps wilfull) ignorance of the fact that the majority of recipients of public assistance are white and alway have been.

But I never expected such ignorance from you.

Unless you meant affirmative action programs – which are preferential but are not handouts.

The pubs oppose immigration, the Pubs try to limit voting rights for minorities by fair means and foul, the Pubs oppose affirmative action … all of it, of course, not out of racism, but other much better motives. :rolleyes:

Anybody ELSE seen that 800-pound gorilla sitting comfortably in the Pubbie’s big tent? :smiley:

Let’s hope he didn’t mean tax cuts for the wealthy, paid for by increased government debt.

No, that was a pretty good summation of the case. Racial politics and pandering to feminists and gays is pretty much what the Dems are all about these days.

God forbid a political party in the United State of America should be all about equality…

Even if true, none of that involves “preferential handouts.”

Unless they’re “handing out” foldout posters of well-hung studs. That would be preferential to the demographics in question (bitches and fags). :wink: