Need help from "car people" (Honda Civic)

Jesus!..you got that right! I had a helluvatime reaching back there. I rigged up an extension “wand” and was able to effectively reach all that I could SEE. My only concern is what I didn’t see.

Installed the above mentioned sensors and PCV yesterday. The car immediately started running “normally” but it’s too early to tell how this may affect MPG… More later.

I’m no mechanic, but it seems to me that perhaps the most obvious cause of a sudden drop in fuel economy hasn’t been mentioned yet - hole in the fuel tank. Though I can only imagine this not being immediately noticeable (by way of a puddle of fuel on the floor where you park) if the leak is high up in the tank so that fuel only leaks when moving around. And granted, it doesn’t explain the transmission issues, but that could be coincidental.

It passes the smell test. I’d think after all this time, if the fuel system had a leak, the odor would have hit me at least once. It hasn’t. I had the thing on a lift awhile back and visually checked too. No wet spots or stains from seepage, nothing. Not very scientific, I know… but I don’t think there are any leaks.

Doesn’t explain the rough idling or power loss either.

Dead Cat beat me to it. Perhaps someone is stealing your gas, 5 gallons a time? Fuel gauge won’t move that much. Not that gas is so expensive that anyone is stealing it these days.

Clean the MAF sensor. Use special MAF cleaner, not carb cleaner or alcohol.

MPG update: Since I replaced the sensors, my MPG has increased to 33 based upon about 4 gallons consumption, with a lot of idle time involved while warming up/“working on” the situation…

Not quite the 40+ I was hoping for, but it’s an improvement.