Need help getting into ketosis!

Thank you, finally someone who has answered and that has significant experience with the diet. Did you find significant muscle loss when you first started the diet?

Two chicken breasts and 4 eggs a day would keep me 560 calories, 18g fat, 4g carb, 52g protein. Does anyone have major objections to doing this diet for about two weeks to cut down on fat without losing too much muscle?

I don’t know if you realizes this but I posted several times here but only in the last one told you I have been on atkins for almost a decade.

As for your question, I did not notice any muscle loss but then again I was not looking for any either. I live a fairly active life, normally walk to the train station carring about 25 lbs for 1.75 miles each way because I like to (and the way the parking is the time is almost the same as I can walk to a station I can’t park at) and frequently walk many more during the day. That said I hate the gym - I would rather go outside and do something then move some weights back and forth. I did not notice any effect on my energy level during induction - if that helps - but everyone is different.
During induction it is normal to loose some muscle but what I have seen (from low carb studies) is that that loss is quickly replaced once your body switches fuel. The transition is the hard part and is what stresses your body the most (another reason low carb diets are not a short term solution)

I would think to min. the loss of muscle you should be eating protien throughout the day (even at night to a small extent if you want to min. any muscle loss). THis way when your body needs protein it can get it from dietary sources.

Sorry, didn’t realize you had already given info.

Do you think it would be worth the tradeoff to raise calorie intake to 700 in favor of an extra 24g protein (74g total)?

It’s amazing just how hyper people get about the Atkins diet without really knowing about it… The whole point is NOT to stay on 20 carbs a day… You’re supposed to do that at the beginning only and then add carbs gradually…

I’ve been on Atkins for about 4 months, have lost over 55 pounds, and do NOT eat only meat… Sure, there’s meat and cheese, but there’s also vegetables - I can eat lots of them - a couple of salads a day and fresh veggies as side dishes.

I’m not hungry, have been checked out by my doctor before and after the diet, and am in much better health AFTER being on the diet… My cholesterol has gone DOWN, my high blood pressure is now NORMAL, (I was on medication for years) and I’m eating better than when I was on the Ornish Diet…

I no longer walk around thinking about food constantly… I have absolutely no problem sitting around with friends eating dessert or bread, and actually don’t want it… My craving for bread disappeared after a few days… and I can go to restaurants with friends and order a Cobb Salad, or an omlette, and not be a hermit like I was on Weight Watchers and every other diet I tried…

Everyone thinks that Atkins is saying NO CARBS for life, but ne doesn’t say that at all… He recommends after the first couple of weeks that people keep adding carbs until they stop losing weight… He talks about how some people may be able to eat 60 or 70 carbs a day no problem…

Don’t just go onto Atkins without doing alot of research first… It’s worth it…

SFCanadian

I think your 700 or 560 cal/day is very low and is in the starvation diet catagory and may not be as beneficial as a ‘normal’ cal/day low carb diet. I know you said that part of your steroid cycle so I assume you eat more in other parts of the cycle. IT almost sounds like this cycle is designed to push you into ketosis. adding more fats/oils at the expense of protein will help get you into ketosis.

It looks like (to me) you get enough protein - try adding fat and see if your results improve.

SFCanadian we are talking about getting into ketosis, not staying on the atkins diet once your there. This would mean induction (or extream physical activity for a long period of time) and this is where I got the 20g. After which you can increase your carb intake up to your CCL which can range from 30-80 g/day. I unfortunatly am at the lower end so have to cut carbs more then the average atkid.

My wife who was a personal trainer (and still is certified as one) has commented about the simularity of Atkins and the high protein diet like the one you are on. I really don’t see how much more strain induction could do to your body under the circumstances - it might actually put less strain on it since your protein % will drop.

BTW is this how you make your living or just like being cut and ripped?

Kevin Spacey said it well enough in “I want to look good naked.” I don’t have that much fat to lose is what I’m trying to stress. After I lose what I would guess to be between 5 and 10 pounds of fat, I’m going to stop and go back on the same diet I was on while in the steroid cycle. While on this diet, I gained weight, but it was ALL muscle. I know the results won’t be perfectly similar once I’m off the cycle, but I will be adding daily cardio activity which I didn’t partake in while ON the cycle, so that should help me either stay at the same weight or even lower my b/f%. I will also continue with the daily workout that has made me look noticeably better and significantly raised my strength.

BTW, I don’t think I made it known that I took my final test injection several days ago that was about half of the size of my normal injections, so I’m only going to have steroids in my system for another 3 or 4 days. When giving me tips, you don’t have to take the cycle into account. Yet again, thanks.

I did it once without knowing it. I didn’t eat for about 12 hours & went to the doc & he did a urine test &
sure enough it showed up. He was concerned but I told him I just haven’t ate & he said thats okay.

Your body doesn’t convert fat–>muscle. Adipose tissue and muscle tissue are two distinct types of tissue, each with their own unique, differentiated cells. The number of cells of each are constant (unless you have liposuction). Exercise or eating more calories than you burn only change the size of muscle cells/fat cells, respectively.