Need suggestions for disposing of cremains

I’m going out with a bang. Literally. As long as the pyrotechnic group I know remains together, I’m being put into fireworks. Forget any maudlin funeral.

You said that you are in Florida. Next time you go to the beach, take the cremains with you and dispose of them in the ocean, then the family can be together with Dad.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Since several of you have opined that burying or scattering the ashes in a nice outdoor area would be cromulent, I’m leaning in that direction. And actually, I like Omar Little’s suggestion most of all. I’m in central Florida, so I don’t get to the beach as often as I’d like, but I will be going eventually. I like the idea of symbolically reuniting them with Dad.

Now all I have to wrestle with is why I’ve even felt the need to put so much thought into this. As I said, I’m a hardcore atheist. My family is dead; therefore, they no longer exist - full stop. I know they won’t be displeased with anything I do, they won’t haunt me, and there wouldn’t be any cosmic consequences even if I flushed their ashes down the toilet. But still…

My family knows that it is my wishes to be cremated, and that I want my ashes scattered at 4-5 different places that we all go as a family together. That way, when they go back to those places that they will remember me at those places.

When my Dad passed away, I visited our family memorial every day for months. When I asked why she didn’t visit often, she said only his physical remains are there and his memory is in her heart. I cut my visits down drastically after that.

To the OP, glad to hear you’ve made a decision. Do it, be done it with and live with knowing you’ve done what you feel was best.

My brother’s ashes are in every MLB stadium. Say “Hi Dave!” Next time you’re at a game.

^ :cool: :cool: :cool:

We scattered my father’s cremains off a pier in Florida. In his younger days, Dad owned a sailboat and scuba dived often. He always had a love of the ocean and marine life.

Tehcnically, we broke the law. We simply moved to a spot away from other people, opened the metal box (Which was extremely dificult. It took thirty minutes, a large flathead screwdriver, and advice from the funeral home to get the lid off. Fortunately, we did that at home), opened the plastic bag, and dumped dad’s earthly remains into the Atlantic. Had anybody stopped or questioned us, we would have played innocent.

You could always contact a friend in an appropriate place and have them scatter the ashes for you. I’ve done that for a couple relatives and friends over the years. Not a big deal for me but something I was able to do that really made a difference to them.