New for the Nineties: Any new music genres begun in the 1990s?

I agree wholeheartedly. We can look at Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. and say that they were the beginnings of Goth, but at the time, they were just “new wave.”

It is far too early to say that there have been no new genres hatched in the '90s.

Some classic Ministry stuff like “Everyday Is Halloween” came out in the mid-eighties along with other similar influences like Nitzer Ebb and Skinny Puppy. You can definitely see the influence on NIN’s first album which also came out it '89.

I believe their sound changed in the 90’s, but it was more of a subtle evolution.

Manuel Göttsching’s E2-E4. (1984)

No, it just moved to movie soundtracks which don’t get played on classical stations because they’re too new.

Ministry went from new wave to post-disco dance music to industrial electronic and then industrial rock throughout the 80’s, and the original question was of industrial rock so I think The Mind… was probably the best answer to the question. While Nitzer Ebb and Skinny Puppy were doing industrial at the time I would take issue with putting them in the -rock category. Why? Guitars, guitars, guitars. Ministry played them, Skinny Puppy only ever sampled them (did Nitzer Ebb ever touch them?).

I’m also think this is the biggest new thing from the 90’s.

Also to Atmospheric Black Metal I’ll add Atmospheric Death Metal, Ex: Opeth. Is Agalloch black or death? Hmmmm…

NP: Wolverine - Fervent Dream