NEW Stupid Republican Idea of the Day (Part 1)

You can help who you refer to as “friends”.

Can I buy a candle that smells like Alex Jones’s taint?

At Yankee Qandle you can.

Yanqui Qandle

Jaysus!! The words, “Alex Jones’s taint,” are words I never want to read while drinking my morning coffee!! Have mercy, good sir!!

My deepest apologies, m’lady.

Ironically, Jones hates Q. He seems to think that they stole his shtick.

FYI, if you want to here what is going on in the far right weirdo world, I recommend the Knowledge Fight podcast. The host brings receipts for all Jones BS as well as dipping into a few other sources of far right nonsense.

Kevin McCarthy and Liz Cheney speaking to reporters:
Q: Do you believe former President Trump should speaking at CPAC?
McCarthy:: “Yes he should.”
Cheney: “That’s up to CPAC…I don’t believe that he should be playing a role in the future of the party or the country.”
McCarthy: "On that high note, thank you very much.

While it is refreshing to see the internal GOP divisions, I don’t think anyone named Cheney should be playing a role in the future of the country either.

Selling quack pharmaceutical supplements is a major source of revenue for InfoWars. They obviously do not get any advertising revenue from mainstream companies.

John Oliver touched on this in the piece he did on Last Week Tonight about InfoWars. Jones also hawks weight loss supplements. They showed one of the ads for it; the before and after was hilarious. Jones posed with no shirt on, and he looked exactly the same except that, in the “after” photo, his skin was a non-natural shade of red.

Thirty years ago, if you made a claim that was clearly contradicted by evidence, you were relegated to the “fringe” and had no platform other than mimeographing your fantasies and mailing them out at your own expense.

Today, you can make claims clearly contradicted by evidence, and receive lucrative job offers, book deals, and invitations to speak to the nation on cable-tv channels carried in every community.

Progress.

This makes me think of those magicians like David Copperfield (I think that’s who I mean) who make the Statue of Liberty or Mt. Rushmore “disappear” in front of a crowd of people. I don’t know how they do it, but I suspect it takes a very suggestible audience.

Millions of people watched this riot live, in real time, as it happened. And yet there are those, I’m sure, who will allow themselves to be convinced that it’s just a big ol’ Democrat lie.

The statue is shown only through a gap in the curtains, and the stage is rotated.

Senator John Thune tried to claim that $15 an hour minimum wage is too much, by claiming that when he was a kid, he made $6 an hour. People pointed out that with inflation, that $6 is now over $20 and thanks for proving the point.

Penn from Penn&Teller has often opined that when you find out the secret to a magic trick, it often ends up being some sad dirty little thing. Like, “It’s literally just a ball on a string”.

I suspect a lot of politics is the same way these days.

Okay, Frasier. :wink:

Ken Paxton strikes again.

A federal judge in a late-night ruling Tuesday extended his nationwide block on the Biden administration’s order halting certain deportations for 100 days, a major victory for Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who sued over the policy.

In a 105-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Drew Tipton granted a preliminary injunction that blocks the Department of Homeland Security policy, which was issued on Biden’s first day in office. It was part of a broader strategy meant to give the agency time to recalibrate and focus on the “highest enforcement priorities” of securing the southwestern border and national security, administration officials have said.

As long as the decision stands, it leaves the Biden administration with no choice but to continue to deport individuals and families prosecuted under Trump administration rules that critics have called xenophobic and overly punitive.

“The core failure of DHS lies not in the brevity of the January 20 memorandum or the corresponding administrative record, but instead in its omission of a rational explanation grounded in the facts reviewed and the factors considered,” Tipton wrote. “This failure is fatal, as this defect essentially makes DHS’s determination to institute a 100-day pause on deportations an arbitrary and capricious choice.”

Department of Justice attorneys are likely to appeal the decision, but face an uphill battle as the case heads toward conservative-leaning court after conservative-leaning court. Tipton was a Trump appointee, and an appeal would be heard by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the most conservative in the nation, then the U.S. Supreme Court.

For Paxton, who has faced public scrutiny since the revelation that he took a business trip to Utah while Texas endured a major disaster last week, the judge’s ruling was welcome positive news. Paxton alluded to those reports about his out-of-state trip in a statement Wednesday.

“HUGE WIN. The first of many against Biden’s unlawful agenda,” Paxton said. “My team & I have fought tirelessly for TX, and we’ve built a nat’l coalition to stop Dems’ unconstitutional actions. The media’s ridiculous stories won’t stop my work. I’ll con’t to press on for freedom & for TX.”

This really does rate up there as a stupid Republican idea. Well done!

Perhaps Thune would be OK then with simply lowering university and college tuition, food and rent back down to what it was when he was making $6/hour.

And healthcare costs.