New York - City or Not.

Of course, that can be said about any team in any city in any professional sport.

“Ended decades ago?” Mantle and Ruth weren’t New Yorkers, to name a few. I hear that they were somewhat popular amongst Yankee fans.

Back off, man. I’m a scientist.

I wrote “decades” simply because “centuries” didn’t sount right.

And I agree about the “any team-city-sport” part too.

In 19th Century baseball, players usually weren’t from the cities that they played for either. The first all-professional team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings, was a travelling all-star squad with players from all over the country, although most were from the Northeast.
If you want see people from the neighborhood, you better stick to watching high school sports. And even that’s changing.
Even college athletes come from all over the place.

Supporting your hometown team because they’re your hometown team makes a great deal of sense for a few reasons:

1. It makes your hometown more of a hometown. Ever been to Boston when there’s the whiff of a pennant in the air? It brings people together, you talk excitedly with strangers, you feel a part of something, a sense of local pride, bragging rights - all the things that being a fan is about. Supporting a team because they’re great is more mercenary than the most fickle free agent. You share your highs and lows. Well, I can only speculate about the highs part, being a Giants fan.

2. They play half their games there. That makes them New Yorkers, or Bostonians or San Franciscans to at least some degree - they have some contact with the town.

3. They play half their games there. That means you can get to go to as many as 81 of their games, and watch most of the rest on your local TV station with your local, familiar commentators.

BTW, are high schools really importing players now? Wowsers.

ben

Nah. too easy.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

The five counties in NYC do exist as legal governments, but perform only that minimum of legal functions that are required by NY state law to be done by a county. There is, for example, a Sheriff of New York, whose function is to serve (or have his civil deputies serve) specific legal papers generated by courts which state law requires be served by the sheriff. (The note in Empire State magazine on this had a rather neat cartoon of a bowlegged man with a 10-gallon hat and gleaming six-shooters striding down Wall Street as stockbrokers run for the nearest saloon.)

City of New York, my butt. In terms of nomenclatural coolness, the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg has you beat by a mile. Or maybe the Città del Stato del Vaticano.

Does NYC have an official motto? Other than “We can kick your city’s ass”.

I always felt that the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (which is sovereign over no land but does lease a villa of about 2.5 acres for its HQ) was even better than Vatican City for being a cool country.

“I’m going next door to see the Knights about the neighborhood cookout. Where’s my passport?” :slight_smile:

I hear Staten Island has semi-pro baseball, which is much more fun than the big boys, as anybody who has ever attended, say, a Toledo MudHens game will gladly tell you.

When I lived there it was “Welcome to NYC, give us your wallet, now fuck off.”

Then it changed to “come for the sights, stay for the muggings.”

I suspect nowadays it’s probably something on the order of “M-I-C (see ya real soon) . . .K - E - Y (Why? Because it’s fun for the whole family!) T - I- M -E -S (Square).”

your humble TubaDiva
who used to live two blocks from the real Times Square and the infamous “YOUNG GIRLS WORKING THEIR WAY THROUGH COLLEGE” strip club.

PS HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR! (God, I love the classics!)

Hey, TD! I remember that strip club!

And some people wonder why the official Seal of NYC has a Beaver on it.

Uke

Ah yes. Certainly was more entertaining than the place that advertised: “OLD WOMEN WORKING TO SUPPLEMENT THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS”

shiver

Back off, man. I’m a scientist.

Uh, Tuba, the Toledo Mud Hens do not play semi-pro ball. They’re a minor-league professional team.

>I always thought it was weird that when one’s address is written as New York, NY, it means Manhattan, but even though I live in
the City of New York, I have to write Brooklyn, NY as my city/state. Why can’t people write Manhattan, NY?

When the state legislature created New York City in 1899, the post office never changed their prior conventions, which were as follows:

New York, NY used to refer to New York county = the island of Manhattan

Brooklyn, NY, used to refer to the City of Brooklyn = Kings Country

Queens county (comprised of today’s Queens and Nassau counties) consisted of dozens of little townships before 1899, so we still write Woodhaven, NY; Forest Hills, NY;, Douglaston, NY; etc, never “Queens, NY”

About 1903, most of Queens county seceded from NYC and became Nassau county. It’s actually bigger in size than the remaining NYC.

Staten Island (overwhelmingly white and republican) voted to secede from NYC when David Dinkins was mayor. They put this idea on hold when Rudy Giuliani was elected.

They also put the idea on hold because A) they hadn’t the authority to do it – the vote was meaningless – and B) somebody showed that NYC was actually spending more money on Staten Island than it got in taxes.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

Nah; actually T’uk-pyul-s Seo-ul (the Special City of the Capitol) has all of the foregoing beat for cool nomenclature.

Didn’t some anniversary [please note the deliberate, and correct, non-use of the redundancy of “year anniversary” here], perhaps the 100th, of the Consolidation of the Five Boroughs into the City occur this year?

T’uk-pyul-s Seo-ul should be T’uk-pyul-si Seo-ul.

Excuse me, people, but I’m sad to say that the coolest name is for the city of Los Angeles:

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora, La Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula

As far as misdirection, I think the official name for Switzerland is pretty cool:
Helvetic Confederation (or Confédération Helvétique in French.) I have never yet met an american that knew the meaning of the CH sticker on the back of my car.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

You know (I never use that in conversation, but it’s appropriate to the post), I like ol’ Monty. I mean, sure he’s a bit testy at times, but against the background of the Internet…no biggie. What I like about him is that’s he’s a language person; knowledgable, adds something when he’s got something to add - I’ve learned a bit since I found this board and he’s been one of the contributors to that. But what makes him likeable is that he’s a language guy who does typos. If he didn’t it would all come off a little too Felix Ungery (Damn! Almost thought we had another gry word ID’d).

So, I’m gathering, from what I’ve seen above, that pre-existing post offices might explain why there is a Bellaire, TX, mailing address while denizens of West University, Piney Point, and several other small, completely-surrounded-by-Houston, municipalities with their own mayor, city council, cops, fire dep’t., I.S.D. and property taxes use Houston, TX as a mailing address. We recently scarfed up the Woodlands, TX but the mailing addresses remained the Woodlands.

Actually, the official name of L.A. is the City of Los Angeles. The long Spanish name only appeared in one Spanish explorer’s journal (Cabrillo I believe). The Spanish and Mexicans never used it. They tended to call it “El Pueblo de la Reina de los Angeles” or something along those lines.

The long form is immortalized in some artwork in the lobby of the Library Tower, L.A.'s tallest building.

Thanks, Beatle. Here’s some food for thought regarding the USPS: it really doesn’t matter if you get the city name right on the letter’s address; all you need, really, is to have the house number and street correct PLUS the correct ZIP (Zone Improvement Plan) code. It would help if you had the correc ZIP+4 code, especially if the letter is destined for an apartment.

As it is, the term “city” isn’t really what most of us think of as a city; at least not when used by the USPS. I’d think that “servicing post office” would be a better translation into English of their use of the term.

If you’re bored and have some time, you could always swing by your “city” post office and read the introduction to the ZIP code directory. I had to learn how the thing was organized back in my bill collector days.