Newbie questions about star trek

But the Borg Sphere had gaps, overlaps, and other stuff that increased surface area.

IT JUST IS, DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

:wink:

Please don’t use technical terms like “gaps” and “overlaps” that confuse our readers.
Thanks,
CP

For truly spherical ships, you have to go all the way back to Doc Smith’s “Skylark” series. If I recall, it was specifically to maximize the volume/surface ratio. Thank you very much…Timmy

[Slight Hijack]

Evolution has always had an end point to work towards; the maximum possible efficiency of the form in question.
[/Slight Hijack]

Say what?

I don’t really want to continue the hijack here, but I have to correct this perception.

Efficiency is most definitely not the end goal of evolution. If it were, prey species wouldn’t have to give birth to hundreds of offspring each in order to have enough survive to continue the species. Herbivorous digestion is notoriously inefficient (especially that of non-ruminants). There are a number of other examples.

If evolution can be said to have a goal, it would be the survival and reproduction of the individual specimen, which in the aggregate extrapolates to the survival and reproduction of the species. But that’s more than a little circular, rather like saying that the end goal of the process of sculpture is to create a three-dimensional expression of artistic inspiration.

That, of course, is BILC (Because It Looks Cool). It gave the Borg Sphere a tattered, cobbled-together look that fit with the scavenger nature of the Collective. For the same reason, the Cardassian ships all looked vaguely reptilian and the Dominion ships looked kind of insectoid (as befit the organic collective nature of the Jem’Hadar). The older species (Klingons and Romulans) didn’t have ships that “fit” their species profile because that particular design paradigm didn’t show up until Next Gen. Although the D’deridex class was pretty cool-looking (and BIG! Really freakin’ big!).

According to Star Trek: The Magazine, the new Valdore class warbirds dwarf the D’deridex class warbirds. Their wingspan is monstrous.

<geek type=trek status=on>
I can’t even imagine that! The power consumption would be unbelievable. Of course, the Romulan warp engine has the power of a motherlovin’ black hole to work with, so I guess they can afford to move a starship the size of a space station around the galaxy…
</geek>

So How Come when you move you can’t just beam your stuff onto a CD?

Ah, yes, Babylon 5 – where the contents of a spacecraft could be floating around in zero gravity, even though the ship’s engines were on and producing thrust. :wink:

I remember one rather notorious instance where J. Michael Straczynski (B5’s creator, exec. producer, head writer, and all around big cheese) stated on Usenet that objects in 1/3 Earth gravity would fall at the same rate as objects in 1 full Earth gravity, because Galileo established that all objects fall at the same rate regardless of how much they weigh!

Now I wish I had bought the magazine. It had a side by side comparison of the two classes and the beam of the Valdore looked as long or longer than the D’deridex’s length.

I want more… I love Romulans. If Shinzon had made it to Earth and blew it into a huge dust cloud, I would’ve cheered. With that being said, his ship was stupid looking… it looked like the bastard offspring of the Sona ship from Insurrection and a D’Kora class cruiser.

carnivorousplant, forget about easy transportation of your stuff! Why, given the uses of the transporter we’ve seen in canon, doesn’t everyone just use the Transporter Fountain of Youth and live forever? They used it to un-age Dr. Pulaski in the ep about the aging disease.

And there are biofilters in the transporter machinery. Why isn’t the transporter the ultimate medical device? Just send sick people through and whatever’s making them sick gets left behind.

For that matter, why can’t they use it for ultra-efficient noninvasive surgery? Just set the transporter to lock on to cells with cancerous DNA markers and beam them out. Narrow-focus the beam onto the appendix or the gall bladder for efficient removal.

Phil Farrand notes in several of his Nitpickers’ Guides that the problem with the transporter is that it’s too useful. In order to maintain some degree of suspense the characters have to develop situational stupidity and forget that the transporter can help solve the problem. Why should the characters make midnight raids on enemy prison camps (DS9, in several eps) when they can simply sneak into orbit above the camp and beam out their targets?

[quotr]Why should the characters make midnight raids on enemy prison camps (DS9, in several eps) when they can simply sneak into orbit above the camp and beam out their targets?

[/quote]

Transport inhibitors as seen in Insurrection.

In all fairness, that would match the force exerted by the comet in an episode whose title escapes me.

And whats-his-name from Firefly and the gun requiring air around it.

And to be doubly nitpicky, that should really be survival until the individual reproduces. Salmon and (male) praying mantises are examples of creatures who die right after reproducing, there are lots more.

This was significant in Balance of Terror, which introduced the Romulans. Kirk radioed StarFleet for guidance when they first ran across evidence of the Romulan attack, and got the answer of “use your judgement” when it was all over.

The big flaw in that show was that it was claimed that humans fought a war with the Romulans 100 years ago in primitve ships with no video - so this must have been before Enterprise (which doesn’t work, either.)

As for why no TV - exactly which station are you going to watch out there?

There was an auxiliary bridge on Enterprise-A class ships. Kirk spent most of his time on the one on the Exeter(?) in The Doomsday Machine, because the main bridge was open to space and not habitable.

We’ll have to take that as “no video communication between ships was used”,(Enterprise NX 01 had no video com with the Rommies) due someone forgetting to renew their poetic license.