News stories that didn't get as much coverage due to another news event.

Seattle’s 2001 Mardi Gras Riot was overshadowed by an earthquake, which may have been a good thing, since it forced a cooling-off period.

I came in here just to mention this and see Annie has beaten me to it. However, the twist is that in my memory, Jim Henson’s death was practically ignored because of coverage of Sammy Davis’s. All the Davis tributes and retrospectives were in the can and ready to go; the news orgs had to scramble to put something together for Henson.

On the other hand, I’m biased here… Jim Henson’s passing is the celebrity death that has affected me most. Still makes me sad to think about it. I’m not sure what celebrity death saddened me the next most, but they’re a distant second.

Disgruntled Security Guard Joseph Furgeson went on a killing rampage in Sacramento, and videotaped himself talking about the killings, including a brag about how he antics were going to ‘feed the media’ for a few weeks.

The date his rampage ended was 9/10/01.

The case got some later recognition due to the similarities with the VT shooter.

On Edit: I think this is what you were talking about Cazzle.

I don’t know if it was just a regional thing (NJ), but I do remember the divorce and affairs of Donald and Ivana Trump getting more press coverage than the release of Nelson Mandela.

People talked quite a bit about Gary Condit, up until September 11, 2001. I even remember seeing a political cartoon once right after 9/11, where two kids were watching the news on TV, and one said to another, “I miss Gary Condit.”

About a week before 9/11, our communication professor told us that everyone in her generation remembers where they were when the news about the Challenger Craft exploding came out. She said that for our generation, we would all remember where we were when the news broke that Aaliyah died.

Did you laugh in her face and say “Who the hell is Aaliyah?”

(I had to google her to find out)

The 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade was vastly eclipsed by the Lewinsky scandal.

FWIW, I do remember that. I was wasting time in the office of the supermarket where I worked, and upon hearing the third Aaliyah song in a row asked, “What’d she do, die or something?”

Never heard anything about Boucher, but we all know about the collapse of Montreal, since you tried to use it to kill **Tripler **and **Nawth **Chucka

25th. (January 22, 1973. Ms. Lewinsky was born six months later.)

Every day there is coverage of Iraq. I can go days without hearing about Britney but I cannot turn on the news for more than 1/2 and hour and not hear something relating to Iraq.

One of the Onion’s headlines at the time:

“Massive attack on Pentagon makes page 13 news”