Newsweek: "What Bush Got Right"

If you’d only said “Eso es la vida,” I’d’ve voted for you. :wink:

French sounds more classy…besides, more people recognize that phrase and draw a blank when I occasionally insert the odd bits of Spanish. :wink:

-XT

I heard some left-leaning someone on NPR who said GWB’s greatest accomplishment is/was increasing US aid to Africa for AIDS relief. Your thoughts on this?

Well, he did create the Marine Preserve in Hawai’i. Too bad it is chock full of garbage.

The problem is no credit is due for fixing what you caused to begin with.

It’s like you deserve no praise for saving a drowning man if you pushed him off the bridge to begin with.

The biggest thing though was the 2000 election. I remember how Bush arrogantly said “I won I’m forming a government and let them try to stop me.”

This has been his entire attitude throughout his administration. Instead of being grateful he won he acts as if it’s his due.

Furthermore by not allowing a proper count, even though he probably still would’ve won, what he said was “your vote counts ONLY if WE choose to count it.”

That is the true GW Bush legacy in a nutshell

The only problem with the AIDS relief is that it is anti-condom.

Sort of… you know, missing the point, as I see it.

Who says the thread only has to have one winner? That’s boring, old-fashioned rules! Dope threads are much more like Calvinball - who knows how many winners there might be!

La vie. :slight_smile:

Don’t disagree with anything else you said, nor do I disagree that Bush was arrogant in his intentions, but really the whole idea of working on a transition team doesn’t seem like a terrible idea to me. Obama is said to be doing this, and McCain criticized him for being too presumptuous. Really I think it’s bullshit. I’d rather have someone there with everything as properly planned out as possible before taking office. It’s going to be one or the other, so why not let them both make appropriate preparations? Everyone always talks about how a president’s first 100 days are always shaky, so why not try to make this better? Don’t we need to fix it as soon as possible?

Don’t let McCain fool you; he’s had a transition team in place, probably since he clinched the nomination, certainly before Obama clinched his. It’s SOP.

No, he burned down the house… just after his friends bought the fire department, and set up a free market “pay for use” fire alarm system…

Nice to see the republican “hire the mentally handicapped children of rich and powerful people program” worked out so well…

FML

Transition? what transition?

His transition to senility.

It occurs to me that there is one role where Mr. Bush would have been perfectly suited to help save millions of years of life expectancy of Americans (a record that would be difficult to beat): as a role model and advocate for middle-aged people to stay physically fit. Has there been a beneficial influence of his presidency there?

None that a President Obama won’t do better, since he is far more consciously, actively fit than Bush seems to be.