NFL 2020: Week 10

Tonight’s game had some great defensive play by the Bears, but the rest is almost unwatchable. Nice kick return by Patterson though.

How on earth did the Bears win 5 games? I mean I know the defense is pretty dominant, but oof, that offense.

Well, for the first five weeks, their mediocre line was at least intact. They they starting losing starting linemen including their center, Whitehair. Mediocre became bad, and Nagy’s unimaginative offense made it worse. Last night, the play calling looked much better initially, but the Bears offensive line was no match for the Vikings front, and Foles was harassed mercilessly.

When we do move the ball, we can’t string together enough good plays to close out a drive. A bad pass, a dropped pass, a missed block, a penalty … you get the idea. It’s sad because, with our defense, even a 15th ranked offense would make the Bears a playoff team. With Foles and Mitch out, I doubt we’ll win another game this season. We’ll finish with ten loses in a row with just enough wins to keep us from drafting a franchise player.

They were healther on offense at the beginning of the year – the offensive line, as @Jasmine notes, but also they had Tarik Cohen for the first three games, and David Montgomery until this past week.

Also, their first three wins were against pretty sad teams: Detroit, NY Giants, and Atlanta. And, all five of their wins were close (within 7 points).

I don’t want them to lose ALL their remaining games. Only the ones against Green Bay.

Slate has some thoughts about the NFC East.

The NFC East is a landfill. Not literally, as landfills serve a vital purpose. They teem with garbage but also life, and seagulls, rats, and insects gather to feed on the heaps of stinking detritus. The NFC East, meanwhile, offers only the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, and Washington Football Team. There is no sustenance there.

The cream of the NFC East does not rise to the top. It curdles.

A four-win divisional triumph would be one of the most impressively pathetic achievements in the history of American professional sports. It’s also the only thing that could redeem the NFC East’s season of woe. We must pray that it happens lest all those terrible games be for naught.

As a Cowboys fan, a 6-10 division champion is exactly what I want. I love statistical oddities and things that just shouldn’t be. A 7-9 Seattle playoff team was a treat a decade ago, now I want a worse one.

In fact, I want a 6-10 team to become the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION.

That would be a particularly appropriate ending to this stupid year and this messed-up season.

If the Packers lose to us, they should be made to sit in booths where their derisive fans can throw pies in their faces and laugh at them! This will serve both as a penance and as a time for introspection.

You’re thinking too small. A 5-win champion is definitely possible, and even 4 wins is technically possible. Don’t settle for 6.

This is absolutely correct. There a couple of scenarios where this could happen. If my scratch-pad scribblings are correct, Philly could win the division outright with a 4-11-1 record; in another scenario, Dallas and the Giants could tie with a 4-12 record; in another, Dallas and Washington could tie with a 4-12 record.