NFL Coaching Carousel 2021

He’s impressed me since his rookie year and his career is being wasted in Houston.

Watson donated his first game check to three cafeteria staff at the facility - this was in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. He’s been a standup guy the entire time in Houston. I understand people bellyaching about ‘divas’ especially with his new contract, but he’s been a model player and citizen and several other players did far more over far less (Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Elway, Eli Manning, etc) without being labeled trouble players.

As far as I’m concerned, the Texans haven’t always had the best executives or ownership, but things went unrecoverable as soon as Cal McNair took over from his father. It’s a bit mean calling him “Tommy Boy” but it’s apt.

The rumors are that the Culley hire is basically a temporary measure while Josh McCown gets an accelerated promotion schedule. Culley is 65 years old after all and has never held even a coordinator position while it’s no secret Easterby and McNair love McCown for some reason. So QBs coach this year, maybe coordinator/play calling next, and HC after that.

I’m not against the idea that McCown could one day be a good or even great head coach some years down the road, but it’s hardly guaranteed, there are other highly qualified candidates right now, and the decision smacks of criminally poor impulse control.

It’s no secret that bad owners and executives can ruin teams, and the Texans look to be the next to prove it. While they were never able to hit that elite level, they were able to sustain a reasonable level of success for years and turned that around almost immediately upon the regime change.