NFL Offseason - Free Agency through Minicamps

Apparently the Jets are trading for Brandon Marshall from the Bears. No report on the price for an aging but productive locker room cancer.

This will be Marshall’s 4th team, after being shipped off from Denver, Miami, and now Chicago.

No word on what this means for the Jets current head case, Percy Harvin. At least the self-absorbed crazy stats for the Jets won’t suffer.

Harvin was released. Jets are shipping a mere fifth pick for Marshall, which seems like a steal.

Fifth round pick confirmed by news sites. That is, indeed, a steal. Makes me wish the Browns would have tried something, especially considering they’ve already signed McCown who has some history with Marshall. Hell, I’d have given a 4th rounder.

Marshawn Lynch signs a one-year deal with Seattle to become the second highest paid RB in the NFL (behind Adrian Peterson). Reported terms are $1M base salary, $1M roster bonus, and $9M signing bonus.

It’s hard to see this as anything other than Lynch getting one last payday before walking away from the game… and it’ll be interesting to see what happens if (when) he’s fined again - if he waits until the end of the year, or just walks away right then.

Eh. Marshall has what, 2-3 good years left? And making a lot of money. It’s good in a short-term, win-now way.

Does give support to the Foles-to-the-Jets rumor.

You draft punters and 3rd string offensive linemen in the 5th round. I get that he was injured and didn’t perform well last year, sometimes acts like a borderline psychopath, criticizes teammates and administration, and they don’t want to pay him the money, but surely a top 15 wide receiver, even with the above concerns, is worth more than one 5th round pick.

I’m quite sure we haven’t heard the last of Lynch this offseason. His massive ego won’t allow for him to not be on sportscenter even in June.

I’ve got very mixed feelings about Darnell Dockett going to the 49ers. Outside of Fitzgerald, he was my favorite player for years. Still missing an entire season and getting older isn’t a promising situation. I really wish he hadn’t gone to a team like the Niners, but it’ll be interesting to see how much he still has in the tank

Multiple sources reporting Cobb re-signed for 4 years and $40MM. Happy about that but wishing the Packers had given him the $9MM/year he said he wanted before free agency opened. Hopefully they can re-sign Bulaga.

Looks like Suh is gong to the Fins with over $60 million in guaranteed money on a $114 mil contract.

No; unless you’re Gene Smith, those are 7th rounders or UDFA. The middle rounds are where you draft guys who will play ST for a year and then hopefully work their way into bigger roles, which they will play at a low salary. i.e. the guts of your team.

Aside from all that you list, what matters is that he’s 32. In 2013, he was a top 15 WR, but he wasn’t last year and likely never will be again, because he’s at an age where guys decline – especially guys at his position and especially especially guys at his position who were already reliant on hands, route running and body positioning because their speed was nothing special. At this point, he’s the #2 WR on a good team, and soon he’ll be a chain-moving 3rd down guy. And no, at his age and salary, that’s not worth more than a 5th round pick.

Not For Long league.

When they signed him, you have to assume the Dolphins expect him to miss a game or two every season with a suspension, don’t they?

Kind of surprised that the Pats resigned Devin McCourty, I was expecting him to be let go and the money used elsewhere. If they can get Revis then the defense will be pretty solid next year. I can deal with losing Wilfork even though I’ll miss his personality they keep their secondary intact.

Eagles sign Frank Gore, 3 years $7.5 guaranteed. Eh. On one level, this looks bad, as far as “why pay Gore when you wouldn’t pay McCoy?” But Gore is a better system/culture fit, and two years of him will cost about what one year of McCoy would. They’ll give him the ball 12-15 times a game, and he’ll be a placeholder for a year or two.

Eagles sign Byron Maxwell, 6 years, $63m, $25 m guaranteed. That’s a looooot of money for a guy that’s 27 and just became a starter. Consensus best CB on the market, and that’s probably what it took to get him, but still, very high-risk contract.

Eagles sign Mark Sanchez, 2 years $9-16 m, $5 guaranteed. :smack:

The Texans have signed not one, but two free agent QBs: Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett. Mallett’s contract strikes me as ridiculously cheap: from ESPN’s Tania Ganguli (nee’ of the local newspaper; go her.)

This seems ridiculously low for a free agent QB with some experience, pectoral tear or not. Hoyer’s deal is unspecified, other than it’s for 3 years, not two.

With the holes the Texans have to fill (Off the top of my head: CB—assuming Johnathan Joseph—gets cut, C, interior LB, WR), and not much money to do so after signing Kareem Jackson, Derek Newton, and others, I don’t see the utility in spending money on two free agent QBs. But the price is really quite low.

And now the Hoyer signing may not be official yet. NFL free agency season is fun.

If you factor out the “Chip Kelly hates you” factor, every reason they gave away McCoy is contradicted by the signing of Maxwell. Maxwell is actually older than McCoy, he’s not elite like McCoy was, and he’s only the best on the market because Flowers and Jackson signed recently. And they signed for roughly a bit cheaper.

Chip Kelly seems to value being his lackey than he does talent or value. That’s fine, maybe it will work for him, we will see. But I’m not convinced that he’s not just another college tyrant who may be gutting a pretty good team based on personality over skill.

Is Patrick Willis really going to hang them up?

Edit: Poor garygnu. At least you guys picked up Dockett.

He’s not good. He might eventually be, but, for now, he’s not a good NFL QB. They got him for a lowly 7th round pick, so his value has been pretty well set.

It’s certainly a much better signing than throwing tons of money at average NFL QB’s, so, in that sense it’s not insane. I didn’t like him as a prospect, and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind about him, but I’d take him at $3.5 million over Kaepernick at $15 million or McCown at almost $6.

49ers GM denies it, but rumor is they’re looking to trade Kaepernick. If it is true, it makes no sense to me. Unless they picked up another QB, Blaine Gabbert would likely be their starter.

I am not a fan of Kaepernick’s, so take it for what it’s worth, but I too would be shopping him. I think that unless you go all in on him, change your offense to run the read/option he’s good at, and are willing to go with the injury risk, he’s completely replaceable as an NFL QB. I think he’s limited as a passer, and he doesn’t do a very good job of reading defenses.

With that in mind, I have no problem shopping him around if I can get good value for him. When you consider how desperate some teams are to get a QB and how easy his contract is to deal with, they may be able to get a couple high draft picks and an average QB for Kaepernick, which would be fine value for him.

I think too many people over-rate Kaepernick thanks to the success of the Niners defense and running game. I think he’s shown, this past year, that he’s not likely to develop into a polished pocket passer, and that he needs an offense tailored around his strengths to succeed.

I doubt they’ll trade him, but I have no problem with a GM seeing what kind of value they could get for him, which would result in those trade rumors.