Nice little things the pandemic has given you

This; DH used to spend 40 hours a week at the office, even though only about 12 hours are absolutely necessarily there. He works with a vulnerable population, so the less time he spends around them the better.

Since COVID-19, everyone who can do any work from home has been ordered to do so, and to come in only for absolutely necessary lab hours.

Surprise! non-primary illnesses among the populations he works with are down something like 70%.

In simpler terms, he is a tech who works in studies involving cancer drugs. He has to deal directly with patients on a very limited basis, and this is unavoidable, but amounts to only about 2 hours a week. He also has to be in the lab, preparing samples for centrifuge, microscopy, what have you, about 15 hours a week, then after someone else collects the data on the sample, he has to log it all in, plus he has to document the collection and preparation of samples. He creates computer files from handwritten documents, and centralizes files that are already on the computer, as well as making sure they are formatted correctly. The documentation is the bulk of his work, and that can all be done from home.

When he is in the office, even just for data entry, it is inevitable that he crosses airspace with cancer patients in studies. There are lots of filters and vents, but there is still contamination, and if he has a cold, but doesn’t realize it yet (one that will be mild for him), he can end of giving a serious infection to someone immuno-compromized-- and set back their treatment by weeks.

Once the powers that be realized this, they decided that holding tight to the reins of the workers doing data analysis was not as important as infection rates. Now, all the jobs have been restructured so he goes in one full day for lab work, one half day for any dealings with patients he has, plus catching up on lab work if he needs to, and the rest of the week, does data entry from home. They even have someone now whose job it is to take boxes of documentation around to people for entry, so that there’s just one person in and out of the sensitive areas, instead of a lot of people going in for documents.

This is the new SOP.

It would have been nice to have had this when our son was 4, and not 14, but still, I’ll take it.

We have restructured all the chores and the way we run the household, He now does all the laundry, and always starts dinner on the weekdays (I sometimes finish it, and do weekends). I have permanent dishwashing and litterbox duty, but we have a dishwasher now, and we didn’t when we agreed to split dish duty, and we have only 1 cat, who really is the boychik’s, so changing the litter involves supervising him changing it. Really, the only thing I feel “stuck” with is permanent Sunday afternoon “clean the bathroom” duty, and seeing as he is doing all the vacuuming, I’ll take it.

Basically, the big difference in the chores is that there are a lot fewer things that we alternate, and more that are permanently his or mine. Mid-week grocery shopping is mine, because I do it after work. Weekend shopping, we do together, still.

I really prefer the new set-up. It used to be that I was always the one who had to make adjustments and try to be home when maintenance or someone was expected, and if the boychik was home sick, it was a monkey wrench. Now, those are not problems (albeit, at this point, unless the boychik is gravely ill, he can probably stay by himself if he’s home sick).

The boychik was looking forward to coming home to an empty house when he was in high school, and getting 90 minutes of freedom, and doesn’t have that now, so he’s the only one unhappy.

Like others that are lucky enough to work from home, I’m loving it. I didn’t really mind the commute, but I’m saving about 1.5 hours a day. Saving gas as well.

Also, and this is big, as we are in snow season, I can plow our driveway anytime since I’m working from home. Used to be I often had to park at bottom of drive, slog up in in the snow, clean off and warm up plow truck in the dark, and plow in the dark. Now I can do it at my leisure.

Oddly, I’m starting work earlier. Sometimes 5am. But then take a sort of mid-day break and them come back to see what’s going on at work.

Also odd is I’m getting to know my co-workers better through IM’s. Our small department is split between two different towns.

And I don’t miss face to face meetings at all. I’m hard of hearing and it was always a chore. Now, I can just turn up the volume on the mumblers.

My new basement gym!

I have been running regularly for decades. Not a serious marathon-type runner, but a “get in 25 a week to keep me healthy” runner.

This has always involved either a trip to the Y or running outside. I never thought too much about the impact of either–the Y is two miles away, and the road is right outside my door.

Then the gyms shut down in March and all of my running was going to have to be outside.
As long as it wasn’t raining I was outside running. It wasn’t so bad in April, but as the weather warmed up and became steamy I was miserable.
From March to the end of June I probably ran 400 miles on pavement, often in unpleasant weather, often missing my weekly goal.

I realized I would never survive July and August heat, so I finally figured out how to set up a treadmill in my home. It was a bit of a challenge–concrete is the best base and I need head room so it took quite a bit of research into deck thickness, step-up height, and such, as well as moving stuff around in the basement to make room.
On top of that, treadmills were in short supply because everyone else had the same idea. I managed to find a good one that would support my usage and found a gang of guys to manhandle its 300lb bulk into the basement. I set it up in early July.

What a difference it has made!

I realized that I could watch TV while running, so bought a 48" Roku TV for amazingly cheap and set that up. The final piece was an industrial fan I installed that blows directly on the treadmill while in action. Now I can run whenever I want, without regard to weather.
I can even run while attending meetings at work, as long as folks aren’t asking me lots of questions.

I’m slowly working my way through my CSI collection as I watch one episode per daily run, getting in 30mi per week without any of the annoyance I used to have. No gym membership. No rain. No blazing heat. No icy wind.
I would never have done this without being forced by the pandemic. Now I don’t ever want to go back to the gym.

Like others, I’m really enjoying the more leisurely mornings. I wake up whenever I wake up (between 6am-7:30am, usually), and do whatever the hell I want until I roll into my office down the hall between 8:00am-9:00am. It usually involves coffee, garden puttering (though that’s winding down), bird feeder filling, reading and/or catching up on YouTube subscriptions and playing with and cuddling with the cat and dog. It’s delightful.

I’ve also enjoyed shunning bras and hard pants, except for on the rare occasions when I go out in public.

I came to say this too. My partner working from home means he gets to spend a lot more time with the baby, and I wasn’t left to cope alone as a new mother. Also, the health visitor said the ‘Covid babies’ are much calmer and happier than average, perhaps because they were locked in with their parents while tiny rather than receiving a stream of visitors.

What are these? Do they stop bullets or something?

Hard pants are what my friends and I are calling jeans, or really any pants that have buttons/zips and are not leggings or sweats. Soft pants for life. :fist:

Three government-related bonuses…

Voting by Mail

I just filled out my ballot yesterday, my daughter did hers, and she took them to the drop off place. Super convenient.

NJ DMV License Renewal

And a complete flip-flop from “Need fifty points of ID along with a DNA sample from 5 blood relatives to get a drivers license” to “Mr. Jones, you have been invited to participate in the New Jersey license renewal by mail program. You can do everything online!”

I went online, paid the fee, and had a temporary license I could print out within minutes. A couple of weeks later a proper NJ license came in the mail. Back in January I was dreading the “Real ID” process and the hours-long ordeal that would come when my license would expire in May.

Tax Paperwork

The state of NJ questioned my veteran status after I filed my taxes. But in our new world, they provided a website where I could log in and submit a photograph of my DD-214 and resolve the question with no paper needed. This kind of anti-bureaucracy was unthinkable a year ago.

This has been one work aspect I have been enjoying. It’s been amazing how governmental agencies, who less than 7 months ago, decried anything but appearing in person are now “Don’t appear! Stay away!”

Kind of sad to say, I’ve had some clients who needed to get back into court refuse, knowing if they walked into our building for a hearing, they’d more than likely be arrested for outstanding warrants. Now, they can e-file and hearings are over Zoom.

I’m with everyone else who is loving working from home. My commute was around 1.5hrs each way, on public transport (bus to my local station, train to big city, either bus or train to campus). Now I have that time back again, I sleep more and get up later which is a benefit. My partner and I are at home together, both working, so we are essentially spending more time with each other. It’s a little odd as he has almost always worked away from home so this is possibly the longest time we’ve ever spent at home together.

I was scheduled to go back to campus in September and I did it for two days. We have a rota, I was only meant to be there two days a week, but it wasn’t going to work out as I had to leave home ridiculously early to avoid the school run at either end of the day. Driving to work isn’t much of an option either as there’s reduced parking available on campus, and the drive actually takes longer than public transport. So I am saving the cost of petrol, and the cost of a travel pass every month. My savings account is healthier, and I am happier at home in an environment I can control. Being menopausal, I am often hot and our open-plan office is usually (to me) humid and stuffy. Here, I have space to sit away from the radiator, and I can turn the heat down/off to suit me.

In terms of actual productivity, the lack of commuting means I work more hours so the business itself benefits too!

Some enterprising people opened a new socially-distanced outdoor beer garden in my town! I hope it lasts. It’s nice, and it fills a niche, i.e. someplace I can go alone in midafternoon with a pile of papers to grade without feeling awkward, and that also happens to serve beer.

Hope Indiana does this, as I’m due to renew in Jan., 2021. I have decided not to worry about it until after the election, though. One worry at a time.

Back in May, I saw a portable hand-washing station by a neighbor’s front door and thought it was a wonderful idea due to worries of COVID, and got one for our front door.

We don’t have a hose bib in the front yard, so when I’m messing around in the beds and get my hands dirty, I either have to go around to the back yard (if the gate is unlocked), or into and through the house to a sink. My portable hand-washing station is great. I never knew how much I needed one before. It would be costly and difficult to put in a proper garden sink there, so when the heat destroys this one, it will be replaced.

Exercising more , reading more, and naps!

My 17 year old son regularly says, “So, what are we going to do tonight? Want to play a game?” I’m definitely appreciating that we get to hang out so much in his last year at home.

It’s been good for my teaching. I’ve taught the same course for nearly 20 years, and while it’s constantly evolving, that evolution had, perhaps, slowed. This topsy-turvy-ed everything, and some stuff I have adopted in panic has worked so well that I will keep it forever. I am certainly done with paper, having been forced to find ways to make all digital submissions and grading work for me, and I really like using videos to replace certain types of live lecture. It’s been an interesting and rewarding challenge, not the cluster fuck I expected.

I have a weird one. We were supposed to have a conference in DC this week. It of course got put on line. Given everything, I’m just as happy not to be in DC tomorrow. So thanks, Covid.
Also, attendance at parts of the conference are way up, since it is a lot cheaper for people to attend with no air fare or hotel, and cheaper for us to run it with no food costs.

We went to the Tenement Museum in New York during our trip there two years ago, and since they were in trouble I became a member earlier this year. We’ve been going on lots of interesting virtual tours, including one about privies later today.

My Wife and I started playing chess about 3 years ago. Now we play a LOT. Four games last night AND a game of Gin Rummy/500.

And since I’m working from home, I replaced my elderly tower with a very hot new HP tower and a 43" curved screen. I had been putting it off. It’s very, very nice.

Tere was a piece on CBS Sunday Morning this week about how chess is having a boom. People are playing virtually and watching chess virtually (as well as in person).

A little petty and vain, but nice nonetheless - I started coloring my hair at home with a $7.00 box of Nice and Easy rather than putting in time and money at the hair salon. I enjoyed the hair salon experience when I was younger. I lost patience and enjoyment for it later on, but kept it up as I sort of forgot there was an at-home option. My hair color looks just as nice after doing it at home. I colored it again today.