"Nine eleven?" What happened to original naming?

It’s the day that warmongering fuckwits murdered four of my friends. I think perhaps this one is just too big to have a single name, too large to be known by some catchy little moniker that can be stamped on a calendar and an excuse for more greeting cards.

That day of infamy is a bit too fresh and too raw for me to even attempt to sum it up in 3 syllables or less by attaching a catch phrase to it. Maybe in 20 years I’ll have healed enough to be able to refer to it by a single name.

Then again, perhaps it won’t ever feel that way to me, because far too many emotions went through my heart in those 24 hours to encapsulate it, stamp a title on it, and mass market it as the word of the day.

I felt anger, sadness, despair, pain, torment, anguish, nausea, dizzy, hyperactive, morbidly humorous, shocked, numb, proud, reassured, patriotic and about a million other things I can’t describe in words on the day that 19 hijacking pieces of shit turned four planes full of innocent people into weapons of mass destruction, attacked two cities, were thwarted in a third attack by truly patriotic Americans, obliterated four of my friends, murdered nearly 3000 other people and brought forth the wrath and vengance of a country as diverse yet as united as America is.

There was nothing quite so disheartening as seeing it live on Fox News Channel knowing that my friends were in there and I could not help them, and nothing so reaffirming as knowing that 40 people on an airplane lived the definition of the American militia somewhere in the sky over Somerset County.

I can’t sum up that day, the that would only be deminished in its importance by naming it.

I have the “Have a Day” calendar, which marks both traditional and obscure holidays. September 11, 2002 is “No News Is Good News Day”.

As with The Onion’s summation: “Holy Fucking Shit”.

Jeff Olsen, at first glance I thought the suggested name was “Moving Flag Day”. That would be appropriate, in a way.

I don’t think the terrorists chose the date solely for 9-1-1, but they had to be aware of the implication. They were in this country for two years. I also noted that the first plane to hit was flight 11, and the World Trade Center looked like the number “11.” On my desk calendar, I compulsively turn the “11’s” into little World Trade Center Towers.

Anyone in the NYX area remember the commercial for WPIX Channel 11 where they would pan the NYC skyline, then turn the WTC into the Channel 11 logo?

My Shop Rite calendar obviously had time to move a few things around: the summer recipes were moved to July, the back-to-school child to August (does anyone go back to school in August), and September had a nice patriotic scene stating “Once we mouthed the words to the Star Stangle Banner. Once we took our country for granted. That has all changed.” They obviously bumped July to September.

One place we get a catalog from had a 2002 NYC calendar with the World Trade Center on the cover. I debated ordering one, but didn’t.

How about calling it “Idiots killing in the name of a religion that teaches peace, part 938,489,495,093”

How often do we refer to it that we need a catchy name? Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I actually heard someone refer to it. Then again, I don’t get out much.

Secondly, the shortness-of-phrase says nothing about intelligence. Don’t many names in all cultures have short forms, nicknames, and other assorted devices? Of course, if you’re the pessimistic type then I guess that just goes to show that everyone is stupid. :rolleyes:

If we remember it by the phrease “nine eleven” then so be it. I don’t see what the big deal is.

Named Act 1 because, of course, it was the first terrorist action ever to take place in, or involve, the US.

I forgot to respond to the OP. Silly me.

How, then, is it more ahem “inspired” to refer to a tragedy by the place where it took, ah, place? I’m not sure how much more creativity it takes to refer to a tragedy by location, rather than date. In fact, I question the need for a creative name. Why is it necessary for people to coin some Grand Capitalized Euphamism?

I’m sorry, but we Americans were too overwhelmed by shock and grief and horror to think of a clever name.

Maybe we should write a jingle. Would that be creative enough?