Nintendo Wii unavailability: Sign of competance or incompetance?

In my opinion it’s mostly a logistical failure, which is a direct result of the corporate headquarters’ focus on the domestic Japanese market to the exclusion of other markets. Even though the Wii is selling at a rate 2 to 3 times that of Japan’s sales, Nintendo has explicitly said that they have no intention of shifting their focus to North America. Translation: they don’t give a flying fuck about the US market.

The console is region locked, with no support for multiple languages. Hardware accessories are also region locked, as my friend in Tokyo found out when someone from the US who came to visit him was unable to use her US controller with his Japanese-purchased Wii. Coupled with Sony and other manufacturers recently coming down heavily on importers, this has made the import market, which would normally have worked to equalize the logistics a bit, virtually unviable.

They have ramped up production to much higher levels than they originally planned for, but they obviously don’t want to be stuck with unsold stock, so they’re maintaining at a level that mostly covers their core market (Japan) and sort-of-but-not-really satisfies demand in other markets. They are reasonably available here, though you might have to check at a different store if the first place doesn’t happen to have one in stock. It almost goes without saying that every other place in Akihabara has a few on hand.

I like a lot of things about the Wii, but there are some real head-scratchers. The online component is so cumbersome that it looks like a primitive leftover from the 90s. It should be at least as easy to use (if not as flashy) as Xbox Live. When Microsoft makes something that is more user-friendly than your system, you should know you’ve fucked up somewhere. Casual gamers seem to love community and collaborative stuff, so making it really, really difficult to get together with your friends online to play games together is effectively gutting the social aspects that would probably be embraced by the the core Wii market.

Likewise, they haven’t tapped into the substantial nostalgia market with older games. A lot of those original Nintendo games were simple and fun, which is the same market they’re targeting now, and there are some “hardcore” gamers who would buy it just so they’d have something better than a hacked console loaded with grey-market ROMs to play all that old stuff on. While a bunch of those have been released here, not many have made their way to the US.

Even worse, the way they have implemented the content is very shoddy. Unlike Live releases of old games, there’s been no updating of graphics, new content, or even a good way to store the games. You have to swap games between memory cards and internal storage to play them, and the internal storage is very limited. Similarly, some of the content is not downloadable at all, and is streamed instead, which doesn’t actually work very well sometimes.

I think Sage Rat’s analysis is mostly right, that they didn’t really have a clear idea what they were going for. My impression is that they had a couple of great ideas (casual games, pointing controller) and concentrated on that, but then threw in a bunch of other stuff at the last minute. Some of the problem areas are clearly poorly-implemented afterthoughts.

Nintendo’s network failings are no real surprise though. No Japanese-based company has done online gaming well at all. They really and truly Do. Not. Get. It. Broadband penetration here is higher than the US even, but there are virtually no gamers who do online play. Even computer gaming is offline only. World of Warcraft, for example, while huge in the rest of the world, including China and Korea, never even got translated for Japan because no one was interested and no one would get online to play it. Yeah, just about the world’s biggest online gaming phenomenon and it was entirely ignored here.

This VG Cats seems oddly ironic now.

(Note for non-gamers: Ken Kutaragi is one of the top people behind PlayStation, while Shigeru Miyamoto is the creator of many of the games that made Nintendo successful)

But the Wii is still selling at unprecedented demand. A demand that has created a market that has never existed for any game console ever. And as soon as sales do drop off, current production levels will put enough Wii consoles in stores for anyone to walk into any store and buy one. That fact that that hasn’t happened yet is great for Nintendo, but bringing more production facilities online to meet demand that could trail off at any time is not really smart.

And it is also no longer hard to find a Wii in the US. It just requires waking up early on a Sunday and going to any store that advertises Wii systems in stock.

You say potato, I say awesome. How can Nintendo be accused of not tapping into the nostalgia market? Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers Brawl and Zelda Twilight Princess are sequels to classic Nintendo franchises and they are selling like mad. Some would say solely on their nostalgia. Other companies, like Capcom, have taken the ball and ran with it to create stuff like Mega Man 9.

Also, just because the Virtual Console doesn’t work for doesn’t make it irrelevant. It is a big hit and I would assume that’s because a lot of people like playing the original games in a form that doesn’t require blowing into a dusty grey cartridge or sitting in an uncomfortable computer chair instead of their couch.

Yes, I wish Nintendo found a better storage solution for the Wii. But it requires a lot of saved games and Wii Shop purchases to fill it. The people angry with the way the VC was implemented by definition can’t also be mad about a storage solution because they have obviously purchased a ton of VC games. Oh, and no content on the VC is streamed, I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

I do think the online component was a miscalculation. It does seem at times like Nintendo didn’t really understand what the furor for online gaming was about and only made a token effort.

To the extent they did understand it, though, it seems like they were aiming for a method of online play that was as seamless from the single player experience as possible. Instead of starting up a 1 player, 3 CPU match, you started up a 4 player match. The lack of communication and socialization abilities hint very strongly that they wanted to make online play sanitized and acceptable for young kids, so parents wouldn’t have to monitor them while they got online. I do think it failed more than it succeeded, though. Microsoft should understandably have a leg up in this area, as they’ve been working with internet connectivity a lot longer.

As for online play in general in Japan, it does appear to be less common than in the US, but FFXI is still very big there.

As I mentioned upthread, not around here (Western New York/Southern Ontario). But the Wii Fit cartridges that are unavailable elsewhere are in ready supply. Totally the opposite of the situation elsewhere in the country.

I appreciate that you really like the Wii, but this has nothing to do with the awesomeness of the console. That’s just plain bad logistics. If you run a clothing outlet and while your LA store has a consistent surplus of coats but is constantly out of shoes, while your NYC store has a consistent surplus of shoes but is constantly out of coats…well, that’s a logistical failure. Nothing to do with the quality of your shoes or coats. And it probably has nothing to do with Nintendo HQ, rather with Nintendo North America’s logistics team.

They’re selling, but wouldn’t both the new games and the old games sell more? My stepson played Mario Galaxy at his friend’s house this weekend, and it disappointed him, because he thought Super Mario 3 was better. And who can blame him? Super Mario 3 is awesome. If he gets the urge to play Super Mario 3, he’s not going to want to go out and buy Mario Galaxy, he’s going to play Super Mario 3, dragging the old NES out of the basement, getting the rubbing alcohol out so he can clean the cartridge, etc. etc. I’m not sure why you don’t get that people who want to play the old games don’t want new games, they want the old games. Mario Galaxy is not Super Mario 3, period.

I dunno, I’ve fallen from being a hardcore gamer to a casual one, and Miis and the Everybody Votes channel enchant me way more than Xbox Live. Then again, because I’m a casual gamer, I don’t have time to become l337 at FPS games. Mario Kart Wii frustrates me enough! :wink:

I’m also still a fan of the ‘gather 10 thousand people into a tiny cramped room and chuck controllers around the room in WarioWare survival mode while all the oxygen is sucked out of the room’ way of play.

I live in Western New York and the Sunday morning trick has worked on the first try for everyone I’ve known that’s looked for a Wii. Does my anecdote trump your anecdote?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

He would be one of the few that still has access to an NES that’s in working order, then. Not everyone’s hung onto them. Plus there’s parents who never played games who don’t have NESes and SNESes from a decade ago that they can pass on to their gamer kids.

Just to clarify… Y’all know that Super Mario 3 is available for Game Boy Advance (and Gameboy DS), right? Smaller monitor, for sure. Does anybody know if an adapter is on the way to make portable games playable on the Wii (or just on the plain TV, a cable perhaps)?

Just mentioning that because many of the old games (which I like) are available for GBA (I’m not a DS fan myself… 3-4 GameBoy generations with backway compatibility, and DS destroyed that).

As I say, my stepson’s friend recently got a Wii. His family had been trying the Sunday morning trick for some time. Same is true with a co-worker (and I even told him the Sunday morning trick, so I felt like a chump). I don’t know what else to say.

What I’m trying to say is, if people are nostalgic for the old games, they’re going to want to play the old games. Not new games that look like the old games, the old games. I’m not sure how I can be any clearer on that.

Yep. My stepson has it. Haven’t heard whether an adapter is being prepared for the DS. Honestly, though, both of our kids are kind of off the DS these days (all the smaller one plays any more is Cooking Mama).

What does that have to do with whether a NEW console is successful or not?

And considering the fact that the Wii offers the Virtual Console, a first in console gaming, isn’t that a big plus in it’s corner?

Oh, hooray. I get to put on the video game analyst hat. I so rarely get to do that here and it’s a nice change of pace to do it for free.

Basically, anyone who said it’s a weak dollar issue is the closest to being right. I say closest because it’s not something we can really confirm for ourselves, just that Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s head-honcho, says that’s the case. He asks for more supply, but NCL in Japan says no dice.

That said, the Wii is still outpacing the sales of every console in recent history, including the Playstation 2. It’s not just that not enough consoles are being shipped here, but also that demand is far exceeding rational basis. Two years after the fact, consoles are still being bought sight unseen, and it’s a problem that will likely only get worse with the Wii Sports sequel being released in 2009. As someone who’s been deep in the industry since I was a kid, it does make very little sense and tends to fly in the face of conventional wisdom.

As for the gaming side, the Wii really isn’t living up to potential. If I only owned a Wii (instead of, like, everything), I’d probably be a very pissed off owner. On the flipside, the system has given me a few of my favorite games this generation and looks like it will have a fantastic 2009 with games like Mad World, Fatal Frame, and new Motion Plus titles, so everything operates in phases, I guess.

Fatal Frame? Do you know something the rest of us don’t?

Look at you, Justin, so behind the times. :wink: It’s been known since at least January.

Behind the times nothing. I knew Fatal Frame 4 existed (it was released in Japan in July), but it has never been talked about for a US release.

That’s what VoluntaryPlan’s post implies and I’m wondering if he’s just optimistic or if he knows something (which he probably wouldn’t admit to anyway).

Assuming I’m tapping my nose would probably not be a bad idea.

I don’t think it’s coming *as *Fatal Frame 4, though.