Nitrates in Beer?

Since Fermentation is an anaerobic process, all oxygen containing compounds are potential sources of “food”. Nitrates, especially so. Nitrates will covert to N Nitroso compounds (ATNC) unless care is taken.

Nitrates can come from the wort or the water.

More here : http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1989.tb04632.x/asset/j.2050-0416.1989.tb04632.x.pdf;jsessionid=AB605B136D8EA5FB96A04E810187E6B7.f04t04?v=1&t=iuam1acz&8621748c

If that link does not work -try this - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1989.tb04632.x/abstract

+1 on the sentiment(s), and the quality and high information level of the zombie must be noted. Most I’ve found to be drive-by Google pickups and a me-too or something addition.

So, in terms of * zombie yawns, stretches, blinks eyes, looks around, feels good to be awake, says “Wow, how long have I been out?” * this is the best I’ve ever seen.

Trinitrates in beer
Make poster disappear

:eek:

wow back from the days ya didn’t have to sign in to leave a post …

Not about beer nitrates specifically but a relative of mine toured the farmer john plant in l.a California and when they came to where they made the hot dogs someone in the group mentioned nitrates in the dogs and bacon and the response was "they’ve (ie both johns and the meat industry) tried no nitrates and the results were considered to taste so bland by the public that they failed

So they keep them in for the taste even though they haven’t needed them in almost 100 years…

We had a poster named BeerUser? That’s awesome! I wonder if he’s still around.

To be clear as google will kick this up in the search results, I need to respond to this zombie.

I know of no replicated, accepted studies that find that nitrates are the issue, if they were we would have to avoid many vegetables.

Many “nitrate free” meets actually have more nitrates than those whom add them.

Nitrosamines are a carcinogen, and the cured meat industry added Vitamin C which inhibits natural formation. You will want to cook items like bacon longer at lower temps to reduce their formation. Almost all beer will have nitrates but not nitrosamines.

Nitrates are not just for flavor, and they do prevent bacteria in these putrified foods. The misinformation about nitrates is partly to blame for the listeria issues we have had with several foods lately.

As for in beer, I cannot appropriately address information sources that are primarily due to activities like watching Dr. Oz in General Questions.