No, I am not giving you $75. Suck it.

I respectfully question the use of worth in this context. In one sense, any life-saving drug is worth whatever one has to pay. But in another sense, a drug is worth only what it costs to make, plus a reasonable profit, and no substance on earth should cost $3,000 per dose. Some European countries have told drug companies what they will pay for their products, and the companies go along with this, and charge Americans a premium to make up the difference.

I understand that drugmakers need to cover the cost of R&D and getting through the FDA and all. But if I were sinking in quicksand and only one person could throw you a rope, I would hope it’s not the same guy who sets drug prices.

Well SHIT. I just got notice that my doc ordered the meds this way AGAIN. Apparently they don’t like having to float the charges for the meds for the 90 days or so that the insurance company can take to repay them, so they have been going with the specialty pharmacy.

I’m going to have to see if they can switch this, because it will put a big dent in my FSA budget. It also comes at a particularly inopportune time, as my school tuition, Father’s day, and 2 other family member birthdays have all hit this month.

I wanted to post an update to this thread. I got my doc to swith my med schedule back to the old way, since he thought it was ridiculous what was happening with the charges. I tried to resolve things with Cigna, but they were bastards and wouldn’t work with me at all.

So, I let them send me to collections. Today, I settled with the collecctiion agency for 50% of the bill. They tried to get me to do 80%, but I said I would rather simply eat it than pay them at 80%. I explained the entire situation to the rep, and after a few minutes on hold, we were able to come to agreement on 50%, which is what I offered them.

I’m still not happy that I had to pay anything at all, but 50% is certainly more reasonable, and I’m not going to get hit this way again.

But they’ll still be able to pass Go, right?

In every other industrialized country in the world?

ETA: Of course in those other countries it would also cost less to begin with as well.