No, the Green Party are not "Luddites"

Keep in mind I am reporting my observations from within a Green group and reading a lot of green materials. These are not my views. I am even in favor of building Nukes and I am OK with GM foods though I do think the corporations could learn a lot in PR.

I don’t think anti-development is a Luddite position at all. (But I’m in Florida, where “development” always means residential-commercial burbsprawl, not industrial development.)

I am curious and lack the time right now to read the entire platform; does it include anything about a preference for redevelopment over development?
FWIW I see a lot of what I caught in a quick scan of the platform of basically being an off-shoot of the old-school Liberal Democrat. It’s making me think its something worth looking into more.

Right here is a good place to start.

I think the Ten Key Values are a bit more radical than that.

I have deep intellectual admiration for the ex-conservative, “radical centrist” commentator Michael Lind, but even he seems to have bought into the “Green = Luddite” meme. That’s part of what I mean by its being “widespread.” See his latest article, “A Progressive Divorce?”

No, he doesn’t use the word “Luddite” here, but his misrepresentation is substantially identical. And he doesn’t even seem to be talking about the Green Party, but the whole environmental movement as a faction within the Dem coalition.

No idea who this guy even is, to be honest, but from your own quote:

I haven’t read more than what you posted, BG, but it’s clear he isn’t talking about every Green out there, but a subset, that he is calling ‘ideological Greens’.

-XT

No, he seems to be using “ideological Greens” to (mis)characterize the whole environmental movement, of which the Green Party is a subset. And “environmentalists = Luddites” is just as big a lie.

Anti-nuclear - Almost all Greens in the world are anti-nuclear, for good reasons. Nuclear energy is not renewable, so it is not a long term solution. Although the risk of reactor failures is very small, eventual consequences are insanely large. More importantly, the mining of uranium is destructive to the enviroment and the question of what to do with the waste is not yet solved. It makes sense to be critical.

Anti-vaccination - FALSE. The Greens are critical of the benefits of mass vaccinations, not “anti-vaccinations”. I’m for example critical of the Swedish mass vaccination against swine flu for three reasons: It’s not a pandemic, the vaccination itself will spread more disease than it stops, and it’s not cost effective. That does not mean I am anti-vaccination.

Anti-floridation - Ireland is the ONLY country in Europe that still floridates its water supply. Of western countries only the US and Australia still does this.

Anti-automation - Cite? There is nothing in Irelands Green Party policies to even suggest this.

Wind power - Cite? Irelands Green Party policies support a diversification of energy sources and allowing market forces to chose which is more effective.
This board is supposed to be about fighting ignorance, not spreading it.
http://www.greenparty.ie/

I’m not sure I would agree that they are all that much more radical. At least I don’t see anything Doctor King or Bobby Kennedy would have disagreed with and much there that they taught us. It’s not a bad set of values at all.

I think the current green movement is much more redistributionist than being Luddites…although the effect for Americans would be the same either way if the greenies had their way.

:confused: How would it “be the same either way”?

Why is that? That is, why have other European countries decided to discontinue fluoridation?

This is from the wiki article:

Please note I am not against water fluoridation but I can see it being questioned at least. Hardly luddite to stop it if it is not helping.

We won’t be able to afford all the shiny toys we have now.

That might follow from Luddism, but not from redistributionism. (N.B.: Redistributionism != Stalinism.)

But of course it follows from redistributionism. If we are forced to hand over our wealth to 3rd world countries that don’t pollute as much as we do, then we cannot afford our extravagant standard of living.

I thought you were talking about redistribution of wealth within the U.S. Where is the other, international form to be found in the Green Party’s platform?

Maybe casting the accusation of ludditism is a way to fight other political battles. This thread reminded me of a bit in the article, The Rise of Republican Nihilism:

Point being, for people who are firmly against government action on climate change, broadcasting the ‘Greens are luddites!’ meme can be a way to portray your usual liberal villians as ignoring the obviously brilliant ideas of unlimited carbon emissions, no government involvement, and giant machines to suck the carbon out of the sky! See the narrative? ‘These luddites just want to get government into your life; they aren’t even interested in geo-engineering!’

There’s a reason Greens are often called Luddite. Whenever you hear them take a loud public stand on an issue, it’s that they’re against it. Nuclear power, development, GM-crops. This gives the impression that they’re anti-progress, instead of a group advocating change in its own right.

Is it fair? Perhaps. But if you move out of the college/hippie component of the movement, you see people who have very well thought out views of progress, even if it’s not necessarily to the liking of the general American public. Most Greens in the real world that I’ve met argue more for dense urban development (a la NYC or SF) with the necessary social progress to go with that (including nuclear power). I’m not sure how that’s any more or less Luddite than wanting more suburban sprawl, just a different vision.

One Green I know is obsessed with Google, the “cloud,” and netbooks. I think that pretty much gets at the Green aesthetic of progress–it’s not what technology is the most powerful, but what’s most economic and decentralized. Since people tend to equate technological development with great expense and concentration of capital, that also might play into why they’re perceived as Luddite.