No thread yet for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearance?

It always kind of bugged me that John slammed “Let It Be”, one of Paul’s very best. So when John does a heartfelt, emotional song that refers to his dead mother, it’s okay, but when Paul does a heartfelt, emotional song that refers to HIS dead mother, it’s sentimental tripe?

(But then again, John went through a period just after the breakup where he just went off on ANY Beatles songs, so eager was he to dissociate himself from them.)

I recorded it and we just watched it this evening. Enjoyed almost all of it, particularly “Guitar”, and Paul & Ringo singing together. I remember that night in 1964, and my wife went to see them at Shea Stadium. After the Sullivan performance you could hear the din as greasy pompadours all over town came crashing down, and the sighs of relief from the mothers and girlfriends of teenage boys who began washing their hair on a regular basis. I remember well the speculative look my best friend’s girlfriend gave me the first time she saw my new floppy do.

Watched Friday’s Letterman. Another seriously botched Beatles “tribute”. Lauryn Hill doing “Something”. Way too fast. Hill even had a hard time keeping up with the beat. Plus her earphone kept falling out.

If ever there’s a Beatles song that needs to be slowly paced, it’s “Something”.