No true Scotsman on Wiki

I would tend to think that any confusion over which wiki the OP was referring to would be mitigated by the fact that he included a damned link to the page in question.

To be fair, kenetic did mention that.

Regardless of the plethora of wiki sites, I contend that most people who use the Internet would not be confused if someone posted ‘Wiki sez…’ I think that ‘Wiki’ is the default for Wikipedia, and that the other wikis would be differentiated by a appropriate to it.

Funny you make that analogy - just this week on The Office, there was a scene where they are in Dwight’s home and someone asks for milk. Dwight, of course being Dwight, responds “Which animal?”

The guy complaining here must be a Schrute. :smiley:

Kleenex, Hoover, Photoshop, etc. etc.

Your examples are the exact opposite of what’s happening here.

Hoover refers to one and only one specific vacuum cleaner, although some people use “Hoover” (the specific brand name) to mean any vacuum cleaner.

Wikipedia refers to one and only one specific wiki, although some people think that wiki (the generic term) means only Wikipedia.

FYI, you can always click on “View history” to see the last iterations of the page to see if it’s been vandalized.

I’ll also add that the OP didn’t say “wiki”, he said “Wiki”. Despite it being a complete losing battle to fight, it’s also the wrong battlefield.

Some people think that, but I’m guessing they’re the non-internet savvy who will constantly be confused by shifting technological terms. Surely the people who conflated Wikilinks with Wikipedia had heard the word Wikipedia before. The fact that they remained confused doesn’t seem to me that it’s because people are saying wiki instead of Wikipedia. They seem more like the people who mix up CD and DVD because they both refer to plastic discs and have short acronyms with D in them.

As Johnny L.A. pointed out, people are using “I Wiki’d that” just like “I Googled it,” and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Those in the know want a shortened form of saying it, and those out of the know won’t get it, even if you can somehow force people to say “I checked on Wikipedia” or “I Wikipedia’d it.” Which isn’t going to happen anyway.

Yes, I notice that now – but in my defense, that previous mention was just a few words out of so many he wrote. :slight_smile:

In my office you have to be careful to specify Wikipedia as each team has their own wiki which they use for internal knowledge sharing. First thing someone assumes when they are told to check the wiki is their internal site, not Wikipedia.

I use and am the moderator for a few wiki’s.

When I am here I make sure to speak correctly- but in the real world, ‘Wiki’ always refers to wikipedia.

Google linking to it at every possible opportunity has created the illusion, like ‘xerox’, that the brand is the thing…

A much more parallel analogy is as if you’d said “I put it in the paper.” Which newspaper?

Do you suppose any of the nitpickers clicked on the link to resolve which Wiki was beng referred to?

What does the former president have to do with any of this? Seriously, people are going to get really confused if you call him “Hoover” and not “President Hoover” or “Herbert Hoover.” There’s no way to tell from the context of your statement that you’re referring to the president, and not the dam.

Do you believe any of the nitpickers really didn’t know from context which wiki he was referring to?

Maybe they couldn’t decide if he was referring to the “No True Scotsman” wiki or the “I’m gay” wiki.

Yes, but L.A. Johnny used it as a proper noun “Wiki,” rather than the common noun “wiki,” which to me, in addition to context, indicated he was using the word as a shortened form of “Wikipedia.”

(ETA: I see Munch has already made this point, but I think it’s worth repeating.)

“Dad, I need to go to the bathroom?”

“Which bathroom?”

Is there any wiki other than Wikipedia which ever gets referred to as “Wiki”, i.e., using that term as a proper name?

Also, “The wiki article” will vary in reference according to context. The context determines which wiki is most relevant. Between most pairs of strangers on the street, the most relevant wiki is Wikipedia. Between a pair of engineers working in the same office, it may well be the company’s internal wiki. Between a doper and the straight dope on SDMB, if no particular wiki is named, then it’s Wikipedia.

There is an Article Blamer tool for this purpose, though it’s usually overkill; you can almost always find vandalism by checking the last edit on the History tab which was made by an anonymous IP address.

Yep, that’s what I was gonna say. Wiki as an uncapitalized noun is ambiguous; Wiki capitalized midsentence is unambiguous.

No, we know what you seemed to mean. But we – or at least I – wasn’t sure. My first on reading the thread title was “Wait, is he talking about Wikipedia, or one of the many other wikis?”

The problem with that is that a lot of persons on the net capitalize somewhat randomly. Hell, you see it on Wikipedia all the time. It doesn’t hurt to be clear.

Well, it doesn’t hurt me to try to be clear, anyway. I can’t speak for the rest of you. :wink: