No you don't need my cell phone number!

Dropping your items and leaving in a huff is indeed behaving like a toddler having a tantrum. “Other people do it!” is not an excuse to act like an asshole.

No one said anything about dropping anything, nor about being in a “huff”.

You are projecting quite a bit of imagination into this situation. Are you unable to express your disagreement without resulting to tantrums?

This, once again, is not a response to anything that has been said.

I have been around toddlers having tantrums. No, it isn’t.

Throwing your items and screaming at the clerk would qualify. Saying in an ordinary tone of voice ‘I’ll go shop somewhere else, then’ and setting the items down gently wouldn’t.

IIRC, @Broomstick has worked or still does work in a grocery store.

I have spent a decent amount of time working in grocery stores.

Have you ever worked in a grocery store?

Just curious as to where your perspective is coming from.

Possibly. But if I’m buying something under $5 and paying in cash, and the store will not sell it to me unless I give my phone, email, and zip code I’ll be an asshole. The ONLY reason for that is to blitz me for advertising, which I absolutely do not want. That’s an asshole move on the part of the retailer.

Funny - the worst offender store for that stopped doing it after about six months. Guess I wasn’t the only asshole voting with my dollars.

I’m well aware of what it’s like from the other side of the counter - I work retail in a big box store. We have a system for dealing with such “assholes”, it’s not a big deal. My god, I wish that was the worst behavior we have to deal with.

I used to follow up with a letter or phone call to the company, but these days you can’t complain without yielding up all that information so fuck those stores.

Find the Contact Us info on their website and send them an email from a junk email account or populate the form with BS info so the message will go through.
I’ve always advocated that response when you want to tell a business about an issue you have with them but truly don’t want anything in return (ie, you had a shitty cashier, but you’re not looking for them to give you a $5 coupon as an apology, you just want to let them know).

I will give out my contact information if there is some benefit to me - your example of the mechanic is an excellent one. That doesn’t mean I’ll give it out to absolutely anyone and everyone who asks.

I once purchased a small (under $20) item from a store that then started, daily, sending more e-mails than all my other e-mails combined. The stuff I really needed to read was lost among one after another after another e-mail announcing this or that sale or special or offer.

So I blocked them and never went back to them.

I prefer to patronize establishments that give me the option to say “no” to unsolicited e-mails or texts.

Yeah, but that might suck for whoever winds up with your number down the line…

I was listening to the White House press briefing today and they actually brought that up as a serious and significant problem. There are also a LOT of issues with people being asked for official ID’s to get the covid vax - we need to vaccinate homeless people, undocumented ones, those with questionably ID’s that would take 10 months to get “properly” updated and that’s IF you can find an open DMV office or get an appointment with one…

Actually, I recently purchased a printer/scanner/copier and told them I’d pick it up from the store, so if the retailer is willing to do that they don’t even that. Or they could send it to where you work. I once had some stuff delivered to a friend’s house so it wouldn’t get stolen from my front porch. So even if it’s being delivered they don’t necessarily need your home address.

Funny - I just told you I had exactly that experience. Want to mansplain some more? Yes, at one time one of the office supply retailers got the notion that they would require their clerks to gather this from absolutely everyone or no sale would be made. If no one does it now maybe it’s because retailers learned something from what happened.

As I said - I work at a big box store. Three days out of five that I work there I’m a cashier. People leave shit all the time. It’s no big deal. Hell, we’d rather you leave it at the counter than in random places around the store, that’s a HELL of a lot more inconvenient.

It’s more like “fucking management doing stupid shit again.” We KNOW why customers get upset at this - remember, we buy stuff, too, outside of work hours. When management makes an “improvement” that sucks for everyone we don’t blame the customers.

Yeah, I wondered about that one, as I showed them my driver’s license at the site. Maybe they’d have taken other ID. The site was for over-65’s, so I can understand them wanting some proof of age.

They do in my case, I work at home :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good point, though.

Are you paying cash at the store and then having them deliver it?

I know if I charge stuff and they deliver to my work address or something they require the billing address of my charge card (which would be my home address).

I paid with credit card and they indeed wanted the billing address for my credit card… which is a PO Box, not my home address.

Originally it was because the mail box at my home address was not secure, so the spouse and I got a box both for his business and for our more sensitive personal stuff. I’ve since moved to another location where people riffling through my mail is no longer a problem, but I still like having the PO Box. I pass by the PO Box twice a day, to and from work, so it’s not inconvenient and it is secure. Good for deliveries via USPS, like from Amazon, as well. Stuff doesn’t sit outside my door in the weather.

I have a similar setup, but in my case it was because I moved overseas and didn’t want to burden my family with getting my mail. So I signed up for a mailing service which sends an email when I receive mail and I can ask them to destroy, scan or forward it somewhere, and then I changed all my billing addresses to that of the service. It really is a practical solution for anyone who travels, or simply decides to move to a new location since only your physical address changes, it also allows you for more anonymity.

//i\\

That makes sense, Broomstick. Thanks for explaining

I used to donate to Heifer whatever. I felt good about donating and I could donate in someone else’s name and they would get a card. It was much fun to tell Mom that i had bought her some ducks. (She loved Heifer, and also appreciated that I wasn’t sending her stuff.) I supported them for years with 4-5 small donations per year.

Last year, they changed their marketing and suddenly I was getting snailmail often enough to be annoying, spam in my email and a few months ago, I started getting calls.

This makes me sad. I liked sending them money, but I don’t like seeing money wasted on someone like me who doesn’t respond to the first 5 or 6 attempts. Everything but the snailmail is blocked now.

You should be able to put a rule/filter on those to auto-delete them, assuming they don’t have an unsubscribe button (which I personally don’t completely trust).

@Broomstick Look out he’s a Mansplainer!

He knows everything better than you
though this is what you do
He’s a manly man
and he can’t see past his manly nose
Sound of his blather
Ooh, it’s filling your ears
as the realization grows…

(Oh-oh, here he comes)
Watch out, girl
He won’t shut up
(Oh-oh, here he comes)
He’s a mansplainer!

Credit to Hall & Oates and to Sister Trinity at Femilyrics

I reply to them with a boilerplate response I copy/paste explaining they have 10 days to remove me from their list under Federal law and no, I don’t need to click their link - just notify them.

This way there is a record of when I notified them and one time that was critical when I had to go up the corporate chain to get them to stop. Somehow, “I notified you on XX/XX/XXXX and you are now in violation of Federal law” got their attention. And in another case one guy replied, “Hey you don’t need to be a jerk. I’m just a guy making a living.” I replied, “You spammed me so don’t dare call me out for telling you to stop spamming me at work. And now you are harrassing me. You have 9 days 23 hours, 46 minutes left. If you contact me in any way, shape, or form after that time you will be reported to the authorities and I will pursue any and all restitution under Federal Law and Colorado Revised Statutes.” He never responded.

No, she’s not.

I have had cashiers at retail establishments get so persistent with demands for unnecessary information that I’ve abandoned whatever I was going to purchase and left.

I get that it’s not some poor cashier’s fault, that his/her employer sets the policy, but it’s intrusive, and I don’t give out my phone number unless there is (in my judgment, not that of the seller) a good reason to give it out. So, sure, my kids’ pediatrician has my cell phone number. A local electronics store that really wanted all my information – phone number email address, real world address – just to sell me an external hard drive? They don’t need it. So I didn’t give it to them, and they still have their external hard drive.

I’m not surprised that the quote comes from the CEO of CVS.

There’s a 24-hour CVS a few blocks from my home. Handy, when you’ve got diaper-age kids, and you run out of diapers or formula or whatever.

On the other hand, if while you’re buying those diapers, you also decide to pick up a six-pack, the casher will insist on ID (even if you, like me, look every minute of 60 years, but that’s a whole 'nother story). And he/she will scan it.

Nope, not gonna happen. I don’t want to be part of their stupid database.

Also, they do use cell phone numbers for advertising. I gave them my cell number once when they were filling a prescription for me. Fine, they texted me when it was ready, that’s a legitimate use of my cell phone number. But then I started getting texts about specials. So I don’t get my prescriptions (or prescriptions for my kids) filled at CVS anymore.

Don’t you have to be a man to mansplain? Isn’t that the whole point of that word?

Maybe you should have broken their femur.

Back when you went to a computer store to buy a computer, I picked out a computer, keyboard, mouse, and monitor and took it to a cashier. I handed over enough cash to cover the purchase, but instead of taking the money, the cashier began explaining how for $X more I could extend…

I stopped the cashier mid sentence and told him I just wanted to pay for my purchase and leave. He paused, looked around, then started his pitch again. I immediately stopped him and told him I’d already declined his offer. He again acted nervous and began his pitch again.

That was it, I’d hit my patience limit. I walked out. CompUSA went out of business a short time later. I bought a similar computer for a similar price from a retailer that didn’t require their cashiers to harass their customers.