Non-colorblind people: How hard are the Ishihara Color Test circles for you to answer correctly?

Perfect score, no problem (3 secs each was way too long). My dad was colorblind (I don’t know which kind), but I understand the defect skips a generation from male to male.

The “7” one was a bit tricky, but if it had been at the end of the test it would have came automatically like the others since I had gotten into the swing of things by the end.

The order appears to change. I got it at the very end of my test.

Anyhow, I got 8/8. Nothing too challenging–that 7 was one that took a split sec to “snap” into place, but that’s the only one that I couldn’t reflexively answer.

Yes. But I took another test (a different one) without my glasses. If anything, it was easier, because the bubble lines and whitespaces appeared indistinct and were less distracting from the color change. In case its relevant, I’m severely nearsighted, amblyopic (legally blind in one eye, and only one eye has astigmatism) with reduced/nonexistant stereo vision.

I couldn’t see bugger all.

I’ve known I was colourblind since I first took this test during a High School eye examination. It’s fascinating, and yet frustrating.

I thought, what the hell, I’ll try it anyway.

I got 4 out of 8 correct.

OK, it correctly spots the colorblind.

The order isn’t the only thing that changes. It’s only 8 from a set of 24. So we didn’t all get the same ones.

I found all the numbers but some, especially 42, took me a little while. I think my color vision is OK but I’ve other problems … including monocular diplopia in both eyes! :smack:

Easy. Generally. Some of the tests you linked to were a little hard to look at, but not because I had difficulty distinguishing the colors; they just seemed kind of jumbled, and color-wise “Why would anybody do this?” If that makes any sense. But I could always see the correct number right away.

So my boss is color blind, and has trouble distinguishing between blues and purples. We’re a distributor of promotional products, and the company’s largest client nearly exclusively goes in for purple products, so he always needs one of us to tell him whether something is blue or purple. For whatever reason, I don’t know, I always found that kind of charming. Makes no sense, but here we are.

I think I know what you mean. I have a bit of a color blindness fetish. I mean, I don’t wish that I was color blind (my test results were perfect, BTW, and I had no problems), but if someone has some form of color blindness, I like that about them. Maybe it’s just that it’s a bit exotic and unusual.

:slight_smile:

I wouldn’t call it a fetish on my part; I just find it sweet. Every time he asks one of us if something is blue or purple I think “Aww,” but not in a fetishy or piteous kind of way. I simply find it endearing.

I am entirely incapable of articulating how I feel about this. I’m reading my words, and while they’re not wrong, they’re not right. I don’t give a goddamn about colorblindness in general, but something about him needing our help in distinguishing colors is sweet to me and I like it. I suppose if it weren’t specifically colorblindness and some other mild inconvenience in his life that he needed help with I’d feel the same? I don’t know.

Crap! I knew I was a bit red deficient (tested by my eye doctor), but I only got 1 of 8. I only saw a number on the first one. The others looked like random patterns of colored dots. Except for the gray one that looked like a random pattern of dots in shades of gray. I can see colors, just not enough shades and details to pick the numbers out. Maybe I’m more than “a bit” color deficient. Is there a scale for such things, as in how many diopters my eyes are from 20/20? (Which is also a lot, but that’s another story.)

Got all of them, but only one was blantantly obvious. I had to pay close attention to half of the rest, and struggled with the other half.

I found them all blindingly obvious.

Looking carefully at the ones that said “you might see”, I could see that, for instance, there were some slightly darker green circles (part the green background) that made the other number. Those were hard for me to see because the difference between red and green is so much more obvious, but it was clearly there when i looked for it.

That’s why color blind people can see through some types of camouflage better than those of us distracted by color.

There are degrees of color-blindness but I don’t know if there’s an official scale. I do know that blue-yellow color blindness (the one the grey test is testing) can become worse with age.

Interestingly because my screening test indicates I’m at least a little impaired in the blue-yellow area, I score about average on the color acuity test overall but there’s a notable lack of acuity on the blue-green border.

Is this a whoosh? I didn’t see any gray.

Easy peasy.

I think you only get 8 out of a possible 24. The one I’m talking about was a bluish-green 7 inside a medium grey field.

This one here yields lots of interesting information.

Not to self-diagnose too much, but though it said I’m within normal parameters I could see on the graph it gave me that there was definitely a particular color-axis I did much worse at than the others… That’s fun I guess!

http://www.color-blindness.com/farnsworth-munsell-100-hue-color-vision-test/#prettyPhoto

If you are not colorblind and the person who is seeing grey is colorblind that probably accounts for the difference.

There are several types of colorblindness, with probably the biggest distinction between those who have a weak color sensor (such as myself) vs. those who are lacking or have a non-functional color sensor.